Avocado trees

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Avocado trees

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Anyone know if they can grow in lowland Cambodia? Or is it simple too hot/humid? I assume it's not possible, but why?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Avocado trees

Post by Soi Dog »

They require quite a bit of water, it seems. They would probably grow just fine.
Web Answer
Avocado trees require frequent, deep watering to bear optimally, particularly in spring, summer, and fall. Due to increased Southern Californian water costs, they are now costly to grow.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

There's a woman who posts on CPN about once a month selling avocado plants. She says you can even grow them in pots. I'm happy to PM you her details if you're interested.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

giblet wrote:There's a woman who posts on CPN about once a month selling avocado plants. She says you can even grow them in pots. I'm happy to PM you her details if you're interested.
You cannot grow them in pots..Avocado have a ''tap'' root so to start growing them you need a container that is about 400 mm [ 40cm ] high. I bought a few seeds back from oz , had no problems starting them and gave them to a guy down in Kep If the soil has a high water table , like ''rice land '' they will not grow and they are mostly grown in NW Cambodia . They are sold at Kandal market and the local name is Berl....spelling?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Duncan wrote:
giblet wrote:There's a woman who posts on CPN about once a month selling avocado plants. She says you can even grow them in pots. I'm happy to PM you her details if you're interested.
You cannot grow them in pots..Avocado have a ''tap'' root so to start growing them you need a container that is about 400 mm [ 40cm ] high. I bought a few seeds back from oz , had no problems starting them and gave them to a guy down in Kep If the soil has a high water table , like ''rice land '' they will not grow and they are mostly grown in NW Cambodia . They are sold at Kandal market and the local name is Berl....spelling?
I've always said "Beurre" (French for butter) And I've always presumed that it translates as "butter" fruit as avocado has a buttery smoothness.
But presumption is the mother of all fuck ups and I've only learnt that pronunciation from listening and repeating. So could well be wrong.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rama wrote:
Duncan wrote:
I've always said "Beurre" (French for butter) And I've always presumed that it translates as "butter" fruit as avocado has a buttery smoothness.
But presumption is the mother of all fuck ups and I've only learnt that pronunciation from listening and repeating. So could well be wrong.
I don't claim to be right on the pronunciation. You may be right.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Yeah, but I could be wrong and you could be right. I'm consistently learning that words I use are wrong.. Very close and similar but actually wrong. That's a downside to learning mainly through immersion.
The dictionary gives អាវ៉ូកាត៍ / aavookaa but I've never heard anyone say that, and I'm pretty sure if I said អាវ៉ូកាត៍ in the market I'd get blank stares from most vendors.
Beurre has been working well so far.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rama, please take the credit, You may be right. I don't have one of those fuckin dictionaries so I think I'm wrong.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Duncan wrote:Rama, please take the credit, You may be right. I don't have one of those fuckin dictionaries so I think I'm wrong.
No. Let's wait for Joon.
Would actually like to know if it's beurre for butter or if I'm just saying a word that is vaguely similar and everyone's too polite to correct me. Beurre makes sense in that Avocado is creamy and posh European folk spread it on toast.

BTW as a very amateur flower pot gardener I'm impressed by your horticulture knowledge.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Rama wrote:
Duncan wrote:Rama, please take the credit, You may be right. I don't have one of those fuckin dictionaries so I think I'm wrong.
No. Let's wait for Joon.
Would actually like to know if it's beurre for butter or if I'm just saying a word that is vaguely similar and everyone's too polite to correct me. Beurre makes sense in that Avocado is creamy and posh European folk spread it on toast.

BTW as a very amateur flower pot gardener I'm impressed by your horticulture knowledge.
My staff confirms same word, avocado is "fruit butter".
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic