Taxes on beer, booze and ciggies to increase

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Taxes on beer, booze and ciggies to increase

Post by SinnSisamouth »

look at the uk anyone on benefits smokes.

oxygen thieving losers
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

A couple of wealthy Americans go into an expensive rehab and manage to get off the fags (but not the fags) and come out all holier than thou. Fuck em. They never knew fuck all, they don't know fuck all, and they will never know fuck all. Plus they don't give a shit about anybody poorer than them. Meanwhile they spew poisonous shit out of their gas guzzling SUV's etc and wonder why their children suddenly develop asthma and other breathing related illnesses. Thank god for doctor WHO.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

ot mien kampf wrote: Whoever said drinking was the curse of the working class must have been working for the tobacco companies.
Right. Which explains why most of these senseless violent crimes are committed by people smoking tobacco... :stir:
Three men were arrested yesterday morning over the fatal shooting of a man during a drinking game in Kampong Thom province.

Cousins Khan Len, 21, Kheng Sophat, 21, and Min Boeun, 26, were drinking with the victim Chhorn Vuoch, 25, at a farm in Sandan district’s Klerng Commune and challenging each other to chug beer, according to Uong Moly, the district police chief.

Boeun, unable to finish his drink, sought to have his wife complete the task, but Vuoch, Boeun’s brother-in-law, disagreed and demanded his sister-in-law finish a full glass.

When she refused, Vuoch slapped her, splashing her with beer, and sending his companions into a rage.

“The husband and two cousins . . . rushed to beat the victim. Boeung grabbed the air-rifle and shot the victim in the back to death while he was running to the house to seek help from the parents,” Moly alleged.

The men are preliminarily accused of intentional murder, he said.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... mpong-thom
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

I'm sure the alcohol made them do it and not the fact that slapping a woman would get a swift response in any situation. :facepalm: Everyone who's an asshole while drunk is an asshole while sober.

And, that situation would have to happen millions of times over to get close to the death toll of cigarettes.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

juansweetpotato wrote:A couple of wealthy Americans go into an expensive rehab and manage to get off the fags (but not the fags) and come out all holier than thou. Fuck em. They never knew fuck all, they don't know fuck all, and they will never know fuck all. Plus they don't give a shit about anybody poorer than them. Meanwhile they spew poisonous shit out of their gas guzzling SUV's etc and wonder why their children suddenly develop asthma and other breathing related illnesses. Thank god for doctor WHO.
What do they know? I'm sure all the salt of the earth Khmer want to weaken the blood vessels in the brain so they have a stroke and paralyze half their body at 35, burdening their 6 children with a cripple who can't work the farm or fish or shopkeep any more so the kids have to go and work at age 10. Or maybe a nice tumor in their lung, so they slowly suffocate over the period of 18 months, pulling their daughters out of class to look after them in their slow decline to death before 40. Hey, now she can bury her aspirations to actually achieve something in life and instead become an illiterate bar girl. Fuck all those whitey imperialists who studied medicine for 7 years and then worked in hospitals for another 15. I want to destroy my body by sucking burning tar through paper! Of course I deserve better treatment than users of any other killer drug because reasons

At least with a gun or a rope, the suicide is quick and people don't have to fork out thousands to maintain your pathetic existence another day.

Smokers are the most entitled group of cunts to ever pollute the earth, acting as though they deserve respect for slowly killing themselves in a way that will most burden both society and their own families.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

ot mien kampf wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:A couple of wealthy Americans go into an expensive rehab and manage to get off the fags (but not the fags) and come out all holier than thou. Fuck em. They never knew fuck all, they don't know fuck all, and they will never know fuck all. Plus they don't give a shit about anybody poorer than them. Meanwhile they spew poisonous shit out of their gas guzzling SUV's etc and wonder why their children suddenly develop asthma and other breathing related illnesses. Thank god for doctor WHO.
What do they know? I'm sure all the salt of the earth Khmer want to weaken the blood vessels in the brain so they have a stroke and paralyze half their body at 35, burdening their 6 children with a cripple who can't work the farm or fish or shopkeep any more so the kids have to go and work at age 10. Or maybe a nice tumor in their lung, so they slowly suffocate over the period of 18 months, pulling their daughters out of class to look after them in their slow decline to death before 40. Hey, now she can bury her aspirations to actually achieve something in life and instead become an illiterate bar girl. Fuck all those whitey imperialists who studied medicine for 7 years and then worked in hospitals for another 15. I want to destroy my body by sucking burning tar through paper! Of course I deserve better treatment than users of any other killer drug because reasons

At least with a gun or a rope, the suicide is quick and people don't have to fork out thousands to maintain your pathetic existence another day.

Smokers are the most entitled group of cunts to ever pollute the earth, acting as though they deserve respect for slowly killing themselves in a way that will most burden both society and their own families.
At first I thought you were talking about petro-chemical by-product pollution until you mentioned sucking on paper and tar.

The thing is, I have many stories from where these laws have been introduced into the third world. Poor people all over the world need drugs to keep them going/alive because they don't have enough food. Not enough money to buy it. They have to support their family on the day to day. Many chew tobacco as it gives an energy kick, represses hunger and allows them to keep working to earn just enough to stay alive (mostly). Much like many Cambodians use yabba.

Since the introduction of the anti-smoking laws in India, these super poor people are being hit with 250 Rupee fines for chewing tobacco. More than double than for smoking a fag in the wrong place! Certain wealthy people don't like to see spit everywhere.

Life is short enough and hard enough for these people already without some wealthy white people trying to make it even shorter and harder.

My friend was telling me a story of how he was in Kerala one day chatting to a shopkeeper. He took out a fag and lit up. A policeman just happened to notice and came over and started yelling at the shopkeeper and smashing him about with his lathi (truncheon) for allowing the tourist to smoke on the street. Glad to see the no smoking rules keeping people healthy.

Another example is from Kenya when they introduced the new laws there. Get this; you can smoke inside restaurants and bars in Nairobi, but not on the street. Reason why? Who knows, but the police were making a nice earner out of it. Hard to catch people smoking inside lol.

I thought America was supposed to be about individual freedoms? Not the repression of minority groups for the benefit of insurance company profits.

If you want to give up and give yourself a better chance at dying healthy, I support that right. And will even go out of my way to help you by trying not to smoke in front of you if you came round my house. But don't go shoving that shit down my throat as if you were the right-hand man of God.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I bought a case of beer this week and the price was the same as I paid 5 years ago so maybe the brewers or retailer have swallowed the tax increase rather than pass it on to the consumer.
Scarier than malaria.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

You seem to have killed the thread Ali. ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic