Rock stars - Is there anything they can't do?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Rock stars - Is there anything they can't do?

Post by Anchor Moy »

cptrelentless wrote:Bono is a tax dodger and notice he never spends his own cash when he's flinging money at dictators.
:thumb:
Pot, kettle, black indeed. What a smug hypocrite he is, lecturing others on solidarity while avoiding taxes.
. On the one hand, as part of his high-profile work with various agencies, Bono has called on countries like Ireland to do more in terms of foreign aid and debt forgiveness.

On the other hand, Bono is one of the directors of a company which has taken a completely legal and above-board tax planning decision to move part of their business elsewhere to avail of a lower tax rate. While this deprives the Irish exchequer of revenue, the move is not, it must be stressed, illegal.

Morally, it may be seen as many as wrong and indefensible, but tax consultants and bean-counters would not agree. It’s simply tax-efficient planning which thousands of companies and individuals engage in.

Problem is the vast majority of these companies and individuals are not also calling for government to do more to help developing nations and thus leaving themselves open to the charges of pot, kettle and black.
http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onthere ... no-and-u2/
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

cptrelentless wrote: notice he never spends his own cash when he's flinging money at dictators.
You know this for sure?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Yes, The picture is of Rory Gallagher. Never really cared for Bono singing. Rory had so much more going for him and a great bluesy voice.
The top picture is Rory. The other bloke with the bass is Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy fame.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

rozzieoz wrote:
cptrelentless wrote: notice he never spends his own cash when he's flinging money at dictators.
You know this for sure?

You would never hear the end of it if he did. The first thing he would say was, "Oive put moy million in already, with or without you-u". He's as big a dick as Steve "I'll have two of your finest livers please, peasant" Jobs.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Rutiger wrote:I don't criticize his activism. His celebrity brings a lot of media attention to his causes and he is trying to use that fact to the advantage of his agenda. And as far as I can tell, his chosen causes are worthy of support.
I was on board when he spoke about poverty, but now he's just another leftist open borders prick who wants to invalidate a perfectly acceptable alternate opinion (supporting immigration control and nationalism) by declaring it racist or whatever other meaningless insult he can come up with. Giving money to people is fine, trying to override democratic sentiment on an issue because you're influential is just disgusting. Shut the fuck up and let the people decide if they want nationalism or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic