Anti Virus

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Anti Virus

Post by StroppyChops »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
vladimir wrote:If you connect to the internet with Windows, you need antivirus.
Fixed that for you.
Nah. Macs are far less susceptible to viruses (virii) than Windows machines as their root access is usually locked and because they use config (ini) files over a registry for program control, but they are still prone to user-introduced viruses such as trojans. Similarly, Android systems are prone to trojans, but not as much to system level viruses. These days though, using an AV program that includes a remotely triggered shut down for theft just makes sense.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I use a freebie called Avast on my Mac.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:I use a freebie called Avast on my Mac.
I use Avast! on pretty much everything. The only thing to watch is to never click on the 'big' update buttons because it kicks over to a paid subscription after a few months. You have to really search every update page to make sure you're staying with the free product, no extras.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

StroppyChops wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:I use a freebie called Avast on my Mac.
I use Avast! on pretty much everything. The only thing to watch is to never click on the 'big' update buttons because it kicks over to a paid subscription after a few months. You have to really search every update page to make sure you're staying with the free product, no extras.
Cheers, I must admit I hadn't noticed that.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

StroppyChops wrote:Nah. Macs are far less susceptible to viruses (virii) than Windows machines as their root access is usually locked and because they use config (ini) files over a registry for program control, but they are still prone to user-introduced viruses such as trojans. Similarly, Android systems are prone to trojans, but not as much to system level viruses. These days though, using an AV program that includes a remotely triggered shut down for theft just makes sense.
Far less like a trillion times trillion far less.

I'm not a total Apple Fan Boi; it's just what I grew up on. There are actually alot of things I like about Windows, like being easily able to upgrade parts... and Command + Tab actually works.

But in all my time, I've never had a virus on a Mac and never known someone to have one (knowingly). I guess it's possible if the user is extremely stupid.

I've installed windows before and connected to the internet and got viruses the moment it was plugged in.

I've only been using Android a year, so have no idea. I like it far better than iOS though.

It would surprise me if Android is susceptible to viruses as it's built on the Linux Kernel, and I thought Linux was even more Virus resistant than Unix.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
JohnnyPoster
Expatriate

Post by JohnnyPoster »

The free edition of Avast is available for a variety of platforms and works well, to second what other posters have said. I use it on my PC but not on my smartphone for no particular reason.

Lookout is good on smartphones because of the added features of locating your phone, theft alerts, etc. It will even take a picture of the person trying to unlock it after three failed attempts and then email it to you.
CKDewey
Tourist

Post by CKDewey »

FreeSocrates! wrote: It would surprise me if Android is susceptible to viruses as it's built on the Linux Kernel, and I thought Linux was even more Virus resistant than Unix.
Android does run on the Linux kernel, but it's the permissions allowed for apps that can get you into trouble. I don't run AV on Android but I do check each app before installing to see whether others have reported it as malware. Taking the time to check permissions requested at installation time is also helpful - for example a calculator app probably doesn't need access to your contacts.

I run AV on my Linux laptop...to remove Windows malware from friends' media and machines!
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

There are tools for android to manage what apps can access after you have granted them the required permissions to install them.
I use privacy guard that comes stock with cyanogenmod however there is also an xposed framework module that does similar.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Digg3r wrote:There are tools for android to manage what apps can access after you have granted them the required permissions to install them.
I use privacy guard that comes stock with cyanogenmod however there is also an xposed framework module that does similar.
I tried searching for cyanogenmod and all I saw were a bunch of ROMs?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Satiated Parrot wrote:
Digg3r wrote:There are tools for android to manage what apps can access after you have granted them the required permissions to install them.
I tried searching for cyanogenmod and all I saw were a bunch of ROMs?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Cyanogenmod is a rom. Privacy guard is embedded into the rom.

Otherwise, download the xprivacy module for xposed framework to have the same control over your applications.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic