Moto laws. General

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Aaronlee
Tourist

Moto laws. General

Post by Aaronlee »

Hi, guys I have a question about buying a motorcycle in Vietnam and bringing it to Cambodia where I'll be living for a year. Is this possible
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Moto laws. General

Post by juansweetpotato »

Aaronlee wrote:Hi, guys I have a question about buying a motorcycle in Vietnam and bringing it to Cambodia where I'll be living for a year. Is this possible
In short, yes. Just don't go making a song and a dance of it when you cross the borders. If they know you don't know, there will be money to pay.
I do it all the time, never any hassle. If you were buying the bike in Cambodia with Cambodian plates the Viets may try and stop you if they even noticed.

Cambodia doesn't care the other way round at the moment.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Aaronlee
Tourist

Post by Aaronlee »

Thanks, do I have to get some type of registration in Cambodia? Where could I do this in Phnom phen?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Aaronlee wrote:Thanks, do I have to get some type of registration in Cambodia? Where could I do this in Phnom phen?
I should have stated the above info is if your riding a small bike across, like a Honda Wave/Dream or a Win/ Minsk. Don't try it with the Bat Bike. Big bikes mean money. Tourists mean money. If you look like your not a tourist or at least know the game, you'll have no problems.

Once on the Cambodian side, you need nothing except a helmet and 2 wing mirrors (lol) and make sure that your lights are NOT ON in the daytime. It's OK to have them not on at night.

Just park outside in the parking when you arrive at the Viet side. Go in with your passport(I leave my luggage strapped to the bike). Walk to the front of the cue and hand them your passport with at least 20000 VND inside. He stamps it, you go out the way you came in and pick up the bike. Drive slowly through and your into Cambodia.
Pretty much the same process on the Cambo side. Park, go to the little kiosk, buy your visa, go inside the building to get an entrance stamp, then back on the bike for a slow ride through.

I always leave the bike helmet on the bike, as I don't want to give them any bright ideas.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I seem to remember too that you are supposed to walk your bike across the borders. I would anyway, not wanting to look like I'm ready to make a dash.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

ExPenhMan wrote:I seem to remember too that you are supposed to walk your bike across the borders. I would anyway, not wanting to look like I'm ready to make a dash.
Yes, that;s what they used to say at Bavet, but nobody says anything anymore and I always just watch to see what locals are doing anyway. I drive through slow now.

Oh BTW Maybe I seemed to suggest that big bikes can't be brought across the border from Vietnam. That's not the case, just that I have never done it on a big bike. I have heard some money may need to swap hands, but not too sure.

Also, there is a place for the moto reg on the immigration form. What vehicle did you come in bus, plane no, etc. If you want a record that you brought it across the border you can fill that in. Last tie I forgot and customs said not to bother.
Aaronlee
Tourist

Post by Aaronlee »

Thanks guys best info
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Don't bother trying to register a VN bike here. It's simply not worth the cost or time for a $300 bike.

With VN plates you're more likely to be pulled over/fined here, but if you have your blue card (which you'll need to leave VN with the bike AFAIK), a cambodian licence (if you get a >125cc bike), wear a helmet and avoid breaking the law in front of police, you should t have much trouble besides a few dollars at traffic stops now and then.

Easy enough to buy a Cambodian registered bike in Cambodia if you plan to be here 12 months. Crap old Honda win clones or little vintage CD50/90/125s are availabile here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic