US Man Tells Of Assault by HM’s Bodyguards in California

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: US Man Tells Of Assault by HM’s Bodyguards in California

Post by takeoman »

The whole charade reminds me of a film, in which a shyster lawyer persuades some one, who a football player collided with, to fake serious njury. Can't for the life of me remember the title, but think Jack Lemmon and/or Walter Matthau may have been n it.
Wonder how many years Meach Sovannara will be sentenced to for defamation as result of this little stunt? :hattip:
The most boring man in the World. Ever!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

takeoman wrote:The whole charade reminds me of a film, in which a shyster lawyer persuades some one, who a football player collided with, to fake serious njury. Can't for the life of me remember the title, but think Jack Lemmon and/or Walter Matthau may have been n it.
Wonder how many years Meach Sovannara will be sentenced to for defamation as result of this little stunt? :hattip:
Of course it's the lawyers. It's always that when lawyers get involved. They always see the money. But don't let that make you take your eye off the ball.
A subpoena is a request for documents. I would imagine the lawyers are trying to get the government to release the information surrounding the arrest, trial, and detention of Meach Sovannara.

There are three ways for HM to address the subpoena.
A motion to quash,
Objections such as V&A (vague and ambiguous) etc
You can phone the attorney that filed the subpoena and try to negotiate a deal with him which is written down in a Confidentiality Agreement.
If no 3 fails you can appear in court and try to get a Protective Order.

If the attorneys have done their job right, it may be hard for HM to wiggle out. But there is plenty of wiggling room.

Meach Sovannara, has I believe, been sentenced to 20 years already for his part in the Freedom Park incident where it was reportedly CPP goons who were responsible for the greater part of the violence as well as starting it. Meach Sovannara, as a US citizen, is trying to fight his illegal arrest, lack of fair trial and imprisonment in a US court. Ask yourself what you'd do?

Are the CNRP anti CPP/HE contingent using him? Of course they are, but some also believe in it for the right reasons.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

juansweetpotato wrote:
takeoman wrote:The whole charade reminds me of a film, in which a shyster lawyer persuades some one, who a football player collided with, to fake serious njury. Can't for the life of me remember the title, but think Jack Lemmon and/or Walter Matthau may have been n it.
Of course it's the lawyers. It's always that when lawyers get involved. They always see the money. But don't let that make you take your eye off the ball.
A subpoena is a request for documents. I would imagine the lawyers are trying to get the government to release the information surrounding the arrest, trial, and detention of Meach Sovannara.

A motion to quash,
You can phone the attorney that filed the subpoena and try to negotiate a deal with him which is written down in a Confidentiality Agreement.

If the attorneys have done their job right, it may be hard for HM to wiggle out. But there is plenty of wiggling room.

Meach Sovannara, has I believe, been sentenced to 20 years already for his part in the Freedom Park incident where it was reportedly CPP goons who were responsible for the greater part of the violence as well as starting it. Meach Sovannara, as a US citizen, is trying to fight his illegal arrest, lack of fair trial and imprisonment in a US court. Ask yourself what you'd do?

Are the CNRP anti CPP/HE contingent using him? Of course they are, but some also believe in it for the right reasons.

You are a very strange young man Juan, you seem incapable of taking on board any facts that don't fit with your take on events. As has been stated HM was not involved in the Meach Sovannara case, therefore naming him immediately calls into doubt the entire legal action. Just like the attempt to prosecute Trump's campaign manager it is unlikely it will achieve anything, except to cause even more trouble for the unfortunate Meach Sovannara. :hattip:
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

takeoman wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

A motion to quash,

You are a very strange young man Juan, you seem incapable of taking on board any facts that don't fit with your take on events. As has been stated HM was not involved in the Meach Sovannara case, therefore naming him immediately calls into doubt the entire legal action. Just like the attempt to prosecute Trump's campaign manager it is unlikely it will achieve anything, except to cause even more trouble for the unfortunate Meach Sovannara. :hattip:
I did say there was plenty of wiggle room. If your right, which I suspect you are, then HM will just get the subpoena quashed.

Seems like your fighting the fact he's a US citizen and that instead of trying to get justice under the US system he should just try to get it under the Cambodian one. That's more ridiculous than if he tries to fight it in the US he will get extra time added to his sentence? Seems fairly moot to someone who is serving 20 years already. That's effectively a death sentence here I should think.

Best case scenario for hi is if the CNRP win the next election. Even then they will probably be so busy running around stealing shit they will forget him for a few years.
You are a very strange young man Juan, you seem incapable of taking on board any facts that don't fit with your take on events
Is that a veiled comment on my support of destitute citizens to get what's due to them under UK law?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

...regarding HM's personal responsibility:

"It claims that Lt. Gen. Manet was responsible for the brawl that took place at Freedom Park in July 2014, for the arrest of Mr. Sovannara in November that year and for his ongoing jailing in Phnom Penh.

“It was in HM’s official capacities, and under his authority and jurisdiction and control, that the acts of torture against…Meach Sovannara that are the subject of this lawsuit took place,” the filing argues.

“The military and security forces that…HM heads were principally involved in maintaining order at the political demonstration in Freedom Park on July 15, 2014, [and] the attacks that were directed against the civilian demonstrators at that protest event,” it continues.

“They also were responsible for filing the criminal charges placed against…Meach Sovannara that led to his arrest, prosecution and long-term imprisonment.”

The filing represents the first suggestion that Lt. Gen. Manet, who is the head of the Defense Ministry’s counterterrorism department and deputy commander of his father’s bodyguard unit, had any hand in the 2014 violence or in Mr. Sovannara’s arrest and jailing, although it provides no evidence to support the claim."

From https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/hun- ... sm-111204/
takeoman
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by takeoman »

@JSP. No more a reference to your comments about the Riverside. :hattip:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bong.kuit wrote:...regarding HM's personal responsibility:

"It claims that Lt. Gen. Manet was responsible for the brawl that took place at Freedom Park in July 2014, for the arrest of Mr. Sovannara in November that year and for his ongoing jailing in Phnom Penh.

The filing represents the first suggestion that Lt. Gen. Manet, who is the head of the Defense Ministry’s counterterrorism department and deputy commander of his father’s bodyguard unit, had any hand in the 2014 violence or in Mr. Sovannara’s arrest and jailing, although it provides no evidence to support the claim."

From https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/hun- ... sm-111204/
Hmm ok. :popcorn: I see that they are also trying to charge HM with international terrorism, and (little known fact), that acts of torture are actually crimes in the US.:
Besides that, the filing argues that Lt. Gen. Manet should stand trial for “international terrorism” under the U.S. Anti-Terrorism Act, due to the alleged torture he has inflicted on Mr. Sovannara during his imprisonment.

U.S. law, the filing says, defines “international terrorism” as “violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are in violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State.”

“Since acts of torture are made subject to criminal sanctions [in the U.S.]
…and also are defined as covering the type of treatment that…Meach Sovanarra [sic] has been subject to by…HM and his subordinates, they come under the definition of ‘international terrorism,” it says...
Hope you are enjoying watching this show rozzieoz: It's called "My subpoena is bigger than your subpoena". :hattip:

From memory, on one side we have charges of adultery, attempted murder and corruption against KS, and now the other side is filing charges of torture and international terrorism against HM. After the Facebook wars,the subpoena wars: Who has the biggest ?
This should be in the "Cambodia you make me laugh" thread. :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic