English Teacher Gary Beattie from the UK with HORRIFIC Leg Infection and Expired Visa Says British Embassy Won't Help

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: RE: Re: English Teacher Gary Beattie from the UK with HORRIFIC Leg Infection and Expired Visa Says British Embassy W

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kuroneko wrote:
vladimir wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:(which, in my personal opinion, I am leg to believe are legit pics of the poor guy).
I am leg to believe. LOL, it could just be an armless request.
:lol: Or his k"arm"a just caught up with him!

either way its going to cost someone an arm n a leg to help him out now
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: English Teacher Gary Beattie from the UK with HORRIFIC Leg Infection and Expired Visa Says British Embassy Won't Hel

Post by Rutiger »

Digg3r wrote:I can't be assed reading through 9 pages of this thread because Gary is simply not worth it but I tell you now, I am surprised he is still alive.

He posted on TOF many years ago and also on the GGC. He ripped off a number of GGC members about a decade ago by telling them a story of having a terminal illness and getting their sympathy. The reality is he is (or at least was) a heroin addict. I crossed paths with him in 2007 where I extended a reasonable line of credit to him. The motherfucker took advantage of distractions I had when my son was born and did a runner. I did track him down and did get my money back but in that town I was the only one to do so.

He is a liar and a con. I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.
Seems like Vladimir's suspicions about this guy were right all along. Down-and-out i can easily sympathize with, but everyone hates a liar and a scammer.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: English Teacher Gary Beattie from the UK with HORRIFIC Leg Infection and Expired Visa Says British Embassy Won't Hel

Post by John Bingham »

Same as. Most people have sympathy for hard luck tales, and initially I felt sorry a bit for the guy. The photos of infected legs could come from anywhere, but then again if he is actually a smackhead that might explain the mess those legs are in. It's all horrific, but we can manage to knuckle down together and get real about stuff like this when it looks like someone's chips are down, and judge it all on a case to case basis. So how do you figure out the difference? Easy. One has a clean reputation and has somehow come asunder, and for whatever reason could do with a little help. The other has a long track record of chicanery and addiction. Maybe they both need help, but I'm happier helping the unlucky or hapless than the deceitful.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: English Teacher Gary Beattie from the UK with HORRIFIC Leg Infection and Expired Visa Says British Embassy W

Post by General Mackevili »

John Bingham wrote:... if he is actually a smackhead that might explain the mess those legs are in.
Seriously? I must have skipped classes when D.A.R.E. informed us of this in high school. Can you explain how drugs could do this to your legs?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:
John Bingham wrote:... if he is actually a smackhead that might explain the mess those legs are in.
Seriously? I must have skipped classes when D.A.R.E. informed us of this in high school. Can you explain how drugs could do this to your legs?
http://www.wounds-uk.com/journal-articl ... re-pathway
Leg ulceration in drug users: development of a multidisciplinary care pathway
08/11/10 | Leg Ulcers, Service delivery | Leanne Cook, Karen Jordon

Individuals with a history of intravenous (IV) drug abuse can develop a degree of venous insufficiency either through the damage of veins from the injection, or the formation of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a complication of IV drug abuse. Long-term venous insufficiency can result in painful lower limb ulceration that can negatively effect quality of life. This patient group can be challenging to manage due to problems with engagement and concordance; patients often have chaotic lifestyles with a range of health needs.
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by jaclu »

I checked his FB donation pledge page.
The wounds does not seem to be consistent if you compare the pics, in fact the legs doesn't seem to be consistent...
I guess it could all be him, but then he would mix new and rather old pics pretty randomly.
Usually a sign against the claimant being honest when the pics doesn't add up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

One thing I noticed: the FB picture of him, he has certainly put on weight since I last saw him.

Surely the ulcerations would damage his health to the extent that he would lose a lot of weight? I know that doesn't really hold true for diabetes, but diabetes was not ever mentioned, afaik.

A picture which shows his face and that leg? I could pull pics off the internet and claim I had leprosy. Hey! Idea...
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

E-mails sent to the two e-mail addresses given in the original tearjerking text [ [email protected] & [email protected] ] are unanswered.

Did anyone try getting in touch with him by Facebook?

Surely there are readers in Poipet who know Gary and his current situation. Yes?

Having read the various contributions written by people who seem to remember Gary as a druggie and an unscrupulous scammer, I can only say that I never saw him use drugs or hear him mention drugs and that he never tried to scam me for more than a few bowls of bor-bor and a few cans of Angkor,
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

mammothboy2 wrote:E-mails sent to the two e-mail addresses given in the original tearjerking text [ [email protected] & [email protected] ] are unanswered.
I believe the last email is not his, but an NGO which was trying to help him out.

So, could he have kicked the bucket? People never get found in Cambodia until they've been dead for at least a few days, and then the media gives us the morbid details about how some staff member goes on to investigate a foul odor, etc. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

General Mackevili wrote:
mammothboy2 wrote:E-mails sent to the two e-mail addresses given in the original tearjerking text [ [email protected] & [email protected] ] are unanswered.
I believe the last email is not his, but an NGO which was trying to help him out.

So, could he have kicked the bucket? People never get found in Cambodia until they've been dead for at least a few days, and then the media gives us the morbid details about how some staff member goes on to investigate a foul odor, etc. Image
Your in a happy mood. Hard day?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic