OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by General Mackevili »

dagenham wrote:
a person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.
dagenham wrote:
A missionary? meh...

This picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote: I would love to have someone, anyone, whom has ever met a missionary who declared upfront that they were here for souls...until then...

yes, maybe, maybe there a few, very few, who don't lie. I've met scores over a 20 year period in SE Asia and never ran across an honest revelatory missionary. Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? No.
The family that moved into the villa next door to ours when we lived by the airport... who were the HEAD of the missionary outreach for their church here. And the 20 or so families that would come by and visit them for training/etc.

Not a one of them hid their intent as spreading Christianity.

All of the boys in white shirts on bicycles out spreading the good word.
Excellent example there. I'm trumped I gotta say. Them Mormons wearing their identity with pride! I should've excluded them...but didn't. Oh well. I admit my mistake!

But then that makes Stroppy even more dangerous as he, unlike the Mormons, tells people he is a teacher and doesn't mention his "mission". He's obviously great at camouflage...kudos to him...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

dagenham wrote: But then that makes Stroppy even more dangerous as he, unlike the Mormons, tells people he is a teacher and doesn't mention his "mission". He's obviously great at camouflage...kudos to him...
Unless his "mission" is simply to provide education... as he does.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote: But then that makes Stroppy even more dangerous as he, unlike the Mormons, tells people he is a teacher and doesn't mention his "mission". He's obviously great at camouflage...kudos to him...
Unless his "mission" is simply to provide education... as he does.
Even you OD, the master of masters, are hoodwinked by this pose. Did you check out the "Church of Christ" links? It aint the garden-variety Presbyterian sect here we are talking about. It's a cult and called exactly that by many online. And if you took the time to read their stated agenda you'd realize that their sole mission is to convert others.

It appears no one has actually taken the time to look closely at "CoC" and simply evaluates the situation with his sponsor solely on what good 'ol Stroppy "says". I didn't make this shite up - its 's there in the links that I provided and much more besides. Naivete + sloth = I'll believe anything that I'm told by someone...just becsause they seem nice and genuine...I'm shocked by your usual razor sharp cynicism OD - damn that bloke has some charm potion he's worked on you punters...he should be selling that and forget the conversion crap...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote: Splitting hairs there my friend on that one. Nice try. We all know why missionaries are here. Again, there are myriad other organizations doing the exact same work that they are here doing. No hidden agenda other than the general promotion of developed Western values = which is fundamentally different than trying to convert another person's faith.
"We all know why missionaries are here"
You think you know why all missionaries are here... and then are projecting your belief on to the rest of us. What a Christian missionary sort of thing to do...

Your deep rooted psychological issues with Christianity (which i'm now believing you have as well by your 'dog with a bone' approach to this whole subject) seem to have left you focused so hard on one thing you're incapable of seeing anything else. At this point trying to speak with you on the subject is obviously a wasted effort and one can only hope you'll take a few steps back, have a deep breath, reread all that you've posted, and realize how foolish you've been acting. When you have multiple other atheists/etc coming and and telling you you're being retarded... perhaps it should be a sign you're metaphorically riding without your helmet.
Ice chest time!
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

dagenham wrote:
Jaap N. wrote:I noticed that too, he copied the links only partial, is my guess.
Fixed:

Also, searching "Church of Christ cult" yields more....

http://www.reveal.org/library/legal/wor ... _pros.html

http://culteducation.com/group/983-inte ... alies.html

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here/

From the Harvard Crimson (paper from one of the worst universities in the world)
"Originally, I was surprised that the Boston Church of Christ--infamous for its aggressive and manipulative brand of proselytizing--was still actively searching for converts on campus."

Thank you for the correct links. Honestly I did not find them that insightful - just he usual justifiable complaints about proselytizing -- and they are also 16-26 years old.

I am genuinely curious to learn more. There are many Churches of Christ (In some ways I guess every Church is "of Christ"). I would like to know what specifically you are referring to. The International churches of Christ (until recently headed by kip McKean) or something else.

I found this Australian site: http://cofcaustralia.org/about/

Is this what you are referring to or something else?
Last edited by Rain Dog on Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:
dagenham wrote: Splitting hairs there my friend on that one. Nice try. We all know why missionaries are here. Again, there are myriad other organizations doing the exact same work that they are here doing. No hidden agenda other than the general promotion of developed Western values = which is fundamentally different than trying to convert another person's faith.
"We all know why missionaries are here"
You think you know why all missionaries are here... and then are projecting your belief on to the rest of us. What a Christian missionary sort of thing to do...

Your deep rooted psychological issues with Christianity (which i'm now believing you have as well by your 'dog with a bone' approach to this whole subject) seem to have left you focused so hard on one thing you're incapable of seeing anything else. At this point trying to speak with you on the subject is obviously a wasted effort and one can only hope you'll take a few steps back, have a deep breath, reread all that you've posted, and realize how foolish you've been acting. When you have multiple other atheists/etc coming and and telling you you're being retarded... perhaps it should be a sign you're metaphorically riding without your helmet.
Let's make a deal - I'll step back if you...step forward. After you done some research on the "Church of Christ" and then we can intelligently, and in an mutually informed manner, discuss why that church, in particular, would sponsor anyone here in Cambodia. Not churches or "missionaries" in the abstract - but rather "CofC" missionaries.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I'm actually WELL familiar with Church of Christ. I'm also well familiar with Stroppy and his Missus. I've met them in real life, and we are facebook friends. IF they were AT ALL preachy, it would CLEARLY show through in their facebook interactions with fellow church goers and missionaries/etc... there is NONE of it with those two.

They're just regular people man... sorry to put the fire of your witch hunt out. Sorry you've had bad experiences with others in the past... but using a blanket statement to assume that ALL are like that is as bigoted as it comes.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Rain Dog wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Jaap N. wrote:I noticed that too, he copied the links only partial, is my guess.
Fixed:

Also, searching "Church of Christ cult" yields more....

http://www.reveal.org/library/legal/wor ... _pros.html

http://culteducation.com/group/983-inte ... alies.html

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here/

From the Harvard Crimson (paper from one of the worst universities in the world)
"Originally, I was surprised that the Boston Church of Christ--infamous for its aggressive and manipulative brand of proselytizing--was still actively searching for converts on campus."

Thank you for the correct links. Honestly I did not find them that insightful - just he usual justifiable complaints about proselytizing -- and they are also 16-26 years old.

I am genuinely curious to learn more. There are many Churches of Christ (In some ways I guess every Church is "of Christ"). I would like to know what specifically you are referring to. The International churches of Christ (until recently headed by kip McKean) or something else.

I found this Australian site: http://cofcaustralia.org/about/

Is this what you are referring to or something else?
Obviously the link you posted is directly for the church itself - not exactly an independent look, eh?

So..the Harvard Crimson article wasn't disturbing? Hmmm...well, you need for your own edification google "Church of Christ cult" and wade through the data...lots, ironically enough, from more mainstream Christian churches, but many secular-based critical reportage as well. It is widely referred to as a "cult" - make up your own mind...

older reports on youtube:

Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Just continuing with my religious jokes.
I was going to become a Catholic, but I pulled out at the last second.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic