Historic dengue vaccine programme, PI

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Historic dengue vaccine programme, PI

Post by Anchor Moy »

At last some good news for a change. I've put this here because a vaccine against dengue will be good news for Cambodia eventually.
I don't know much about this, so I have a question - will a vaccine work on people who already have had dengue ? So many kids get it when they are really young,but here they are vaccinating 9yo and up...
Manila - The world's first public dengue vaccination programme was launched in the Philippines on Monday as nurses began injecting the first batch of a million children with a French drug to combat the sometimes deadly disease.

Several hundred children aged 9-10 queued in front of government health workers at a public school in eastern Manila for the injections, capping a 20-year, 1.5-billion-euro (S$2.4 bn) effort by French drug manufacturer Sanofi to develop the vaccine.

"We are the first country to introduce, adopt and implement the first-ever dengue vaccine through the public health system and under public school settings," said Philippine Health Secretary Janette Garin.

The Philippines had in December approved the vaccine, the first to be licensed globally to combat the mosquito-borne disease for people aged between nine and 45...
http://news.asiaone.com/news/yourhealth ... hilippines
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Historic dengue vaccine programme, PI

Post by IraHayes »

Just waiting for the anti-vaccine crowd to turn up with their i-can-use-google-degrees.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Historic dengue vaccine programme, PI

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Great news, hopefully this vaccine will prove successful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic