Anonymity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anonymity

Post by Jacobincambodia »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Because forums here get their fair share of vindictive keyboard warriors and assorted nutters who unfortunately might take a minor disagreement or plain envy or jealousy to a level that impacts someone in real life. For example look what happens on the death threads on the other forum, when your name is known they start heading to Facebook, LinkedIn etc and start making assumptions on your life etc. which have been hurtful to the family involved.

I don't think there is anything extreme about having an alias.
That makes sense. Sad to see that's what happens in some cases. Please everyone don't make any death threats towards me. I will turn into a violent Marine with a nightstick under my mattress.
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

General Mackevili wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:I'm curious about the reasons behind why people choose to be anonymous on here.
Most don't. I practically know everyone on here (to some degree).

I'm not anonymous. I'll be at Quealy's tonight. Hope to see you there!

It's just the way things are done. It's 2014 and people like their privacy.

Go ahead and post your social security number, bank account numbers (it's not like someone can request a wire transfer FROM them), and all your other personal details.

Phone number, address, etc.

I don't think it's strange at all that people use aliases on online forums.

P.S. InCambodia is an interesting sir name. Image
Ha! I just found it interesting. To me, anonymity is usually associated with practices that maybe you don't want so public. I suppose Cambodia has plenty of those.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jacobincambodia wrote: To me, anonymity is usually associated with practices that maybe you don't want so public.
Agreed, in general.

I just think with forums it's USUALLY different.

Again, would you want all your emails, etc, being an open book? Might as well keep private what you can.

I think it's just common sense to register with an alias if you plan to just shoot the shit.

Also, having a little extra privacy or whatever you call it helps people be more open. That's a fact.

On the other hand, you in particular are bound to be more civil because you know it reflects directly on you.

Nobody ever regretted not putting enough personal information online, but I bet the number of people that regret putting up too much information is in the hundreds of millions.

Interesting topic though, and I hope we get some thought provoking replies!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

I once had a band of NGO thugs show up at a bar (where I wasn't) looking to do me harm because of some comparatively moderate criticism of an NGO I made on that other forum. Good thing I am (semi) anonymous or that idiot meat head might have shown up on my doorstep where my family live.

The world is full of weirdos, and they are all on internet.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Nicknames are fun and I don't want to advertise myself. Everything you post online is recorded and preserved for ever and easily accessed by simple searches. There are subjects that I'm willing to discuss with my friends that I don't want my parents to overhear. Context is important. I'll discuss topics in the VIP section that I'd never mention on facebook.

I'm very shy and private in real life so anonymity (and the ability to review my post before submitting) makes me feel much more comfortable expressing myself online.

Also whenever someone discussing state surveillance states that, "Those with nothing to hide have nothing to fear." They should immediately provide all their passwords, banking details and medical records. I've yet to see someone follow through on this assertion.

------------------
StroppyChops wrote:We have a hamster that loves to burrow in the shavings and flick it every where. I've been looking for a clever and decent name, possibly German, that means "shit flicker" - any thoughts?
Shizer means shit...
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ali baba wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:We have a hamster that loves to burrow in the shavings and flick it every where. I've been looking for a clever and decent name, possibly German, that means "shit flicker" - any thoughts?
Shizer means shit...
Thanks, I was working with that for a while. (Me) Being lazy, and as he's a red hamster, he now responds to "Red". The other male looks like a hedgehog, so he is called that more often than not - what's disturbing is that he looks alarmingly pregnant.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

LTO wrote:I once had a band of NGO thugs show up at a bar (where I wasn't) looking to do me harm because of some comparatively moderate criticism of an NGO I made on that other forum. Good thing I am (semi) anonymous or that idiot meat head might have shown up on my doorstep where my family live.

The world is full of weirdos, and they are all on internet.
That's retarded. How childish of someone to act like that I agree -- the internet is chock full of weirdos!!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

General Mackevili wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote: To me, anonymity is usually associated with practices that maybe you don't want so public.
Agreed, in general.

I just think with forums it's USUALLY different.

Again, would you want all your emails, etc, being an open book? Might as well keep private what you can.

I think it's just common sense to register with an alias if you plan to just shoot the shit.

Also, having a little extra privacy or whatever you call it helps people be more open. That's a fact.

On the other hand, you in particular are bound to be more civil because you know it reflects directly on you.

Nobody ever regretted not putting enough personal information online, but I bet the number of people that regret putting up too much information is in the hundreds of millions.

Interesting topic though, and I hope we get some thought provoking replies!
Right, some things should remain private. You have to be very careful about what you post online especially with the perverts out there. Thinking about my family...And yes, I'm less likely to threaten someone on here since I'm obviously not anonymous :). But I think it's safe to say that if you are a different person to different people, isn't that considered two-faced? Maybe I don't understand what that word means.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
That's retarded.
Maybe you might want to volunteer at a center for disabled children in the future.

You've now used the word "retarded" in a way that some people would frown upon. It definitely wouldn't help you land a position at a center for disabled children if this post followed you around by your real name for eternity.

(Just an example of one of the billion reasons to respect your own privacy, and use it when you can. I have nothing against that word being used like that, fwiw.)

I can think of numerous ways to use a fun alias online which has nothing to do with covering up bad behaviour, and LTO's was a perfect example.

It has more to do with others than it has to do with one's self.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Not sure you should either, it should be referred to as children with disabilities, not disabled children.

You should always emphasize the "person" first and "disability" second.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic