OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by OrangeDragon »

Here is the definition of missionary, which Stroppy openly admitted he was:

missionary
ˈmɪʃ(ə)n(ə)ri/
noun
noun: missionary; plural noun: missionaries

a person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.
Please note that "especially" doesn't mean "exclusively"...

you really do seem to have an overdeveloped sense of animosity towards them. one that even vlad's pales in comparison to.

For those who are curious: Atheist, raised by a family of southern baptists... the hard core kind.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Related: Christians, can God create a stone so heavy He can't lift it?
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Why the "Church of Christ" cult mission sponsorship then? That's the bottom line, Brother...others are here volunteer teaching without cult funding...so it goes...
Sorry What exactly is Church of Christ? Why are you specifically negative about them?
Also, maybe unrelated, but I believe the Stroppies are paying their own way out here.
That is related to be sure, but it might be hard getting the truth from them at this point (i.e. the cult doesn't support their effort in any way). They probably are indeed covering their own personal expenses I would guess with other "mission" expenses footed by the cult. Anyway, we'll never know the "truth" about the details on this as they would be, understandably, very reluctant to address that now. The truth doesn't serve missionaries usually...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Here is the definition of missionary, which Stroppy openly admitted he was:

missionary
ˈmɪʃ(ə)n(ə)ri/
noun
noun: missionary; plural noun: missionaries

a person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.
Please note that "especially" doesn't mean "exclusively"...

you really do seem to have an overdeveloped sense of animosity towards them. one that even vlad's pales in comparison to.

For those who are curious: Atheist, raised by a family of southern baptists... the hard core kind.
Splitting hairs there my friend on that one. Nice try. We all know why missionaries are here. Again, there are myriad other organizations doing the exact same work that they are here doing. No hidden agenda other than the general promotion of developed Western values = which is fundamentally different than trying to convert another person's faith.

Does it really show that I have animosity toward missionaries? Hmmm...I would say it's presently "underdeveloped" but there you go...lapsed Southern Baptist, eh? - never too late to go back...Brother... Jesus always will love you - until he returns and you might be going south, deep south...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

dagenham wrote: You state that you have met many missionaries and yet you didn't recount one concrete example of them telling you outright that they are here "primarily" to convert. This is because they would never say that - they would be castigated and criticized by many people immediately. They always have a smokescreen/front of "helping" the poor natives.
When you continue to use the words "always" and "never" it makes it pointless to discuss this further with you.

And I wasn't aware you required concrete examples of everyday occurrences:

There's a religious nutter (foreigner) that I've personally witnessed here in Phnom Penh that goes around shouting "repent, repent!" or something like that on a megaphone while carrying a sign with a cross on it.

Running around Phnom Penh with a megaphone and a cross is as about as "direct" of an approach as one can take while spreading the gospel.

He instantly proves your claims dead wrong. Did he accidentally leave his smokescreen at home or what?

So, stop making such erroneous claims and maybe you'll find yourself meeting more people on common ground.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

OrangeDragon wrote:Related: Christians, can God create a stone so heavy He can't lift it?
Can God make a=not a? Or a 5-sided triangle?

Do the words "Can God..." nullify logical contradiction or linguistic silliness?

Just a thought.
Last edited by LTO on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

General Mackevili wrote:

Dammit ---- who took my photo?
Last edited by Rain Dog on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

dagenham wrote: Splitting hairs there my friend on that one. Nice try. We all know why missionaries are here. Again, there are myriad other organizations doing the exact same work that they are here doing. No hidden agenda other than the general promotion of developed Western values = which is fundamentally different than trying to convert another person's faith.
"We all know why missionaries are here"
You think you know why all missionaries are here... and then are projecting your belief on to the rest of us. What a Christian missionary sort of thing to do...

Your deep rooted psychological issues with Christianity (which i'm now believing you have as well by your 'dog with a bone' approach to this whole subject) seem to have left you focused so hard on one thing you're incapable of seeing anything else. At this point trying to speak with you on the subject is obviously a wasted effort and one can only hope you'll take a few steps back, have a deep breath, reread all that you've posted, and realize how foolish you've been acting. When you have multiple other atheists/etc coming and and telling you you're being retarded... perhaps it should be a sign you're metaphorically riding without your helmet.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:
dagenham wrote: You state that you have met many missionaries and yet you didn't recount one concrete example of them telling you outright that they are here "primarily" to convert. This is because they would never say that - they would be castigated and criticized by many people immediately. They always have a smokescreen/front of "helping" the poor natives.
When you continue to use the words "always" and "never" it makes it pointless to discuss this further with you.

And I wasn't aware you required concrete examples of everyday occurrences:

There's a religious nutter (foreigner) that I've personally witnessed here in Phnom Penh that goes around shouting "repent, repent!" or something like that on a megaphone while carrying a sign with a cross on it.

Running around Phnom Penh with a megaphone and a cross is as about as "direct" of an approach as one can take while spreading the gospel.

He instantly proves your claims dead wrong. Did he accidentally leave his smokescreen at home or what?

So, stop making such erroneous claims and maybe you'll find yourself meeting more people on common ground.
Point well taken. To qualify that 1 example - he's a nutter. No discussion there. A missionary? meh...

I would love to have someone, anyone, whom has ever met a missionary who declared upfront that they were here for souls...until then...

yes, maybe, maybe there a few, very few, who don't lie. I've met scores over a 20 year period in SE Asia and never ran across an honest revelatory missionary. Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? No.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

dagenham wrote: I would love to have someone, anyone, whom has ever met a missionary who declared upfront that they were here for souls...until then...

yes, maybe, maybe there a few, very few, who don't lie. I've met scores over a 20 year period in SE Asia and never ran across an honest revelatory missionary. Is it possible? Of course. Is it likely? No.
The family that moved into the villa next door to ours when we lived by the airport... who were the HEAD of the missionary outreach for their church here. And the 20 or so families that would come by and visit them for training/etc.

Not a one of them hid their intent as spreading Christianity.

All of the boys in white shirts on bicycles out spreading the good word.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic