OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:I don't really care what religious types do as long as I don't have to hear about it, and that includes monks over loudspeakers at 3am. Hate them.
I've hit the point where I'm starting to regret how this has drawn out and clogged the flow, vlad - apologies to anyone who feels they've been subjected to this. I'll leave the troll alone now, there's obviously nothing new happening here.
For once we agree. The one time you were honest and revealing about your real agenda is what kept this thread going. Now you wont be doing that again.

All missionaries lie, because they have to. You're no different and you let it slip there for one post, and one post only. I do have to reluctantly congratulate on your smooth technique - you even convinced G-Mack, a smart fellow, that you're only here to "teach".

Why the "Church of Christ" cult mission sponsorship then? That's the bottom line, Brother...others are here volunteer teaching without cult funding...so it goes...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

dagenham wrote:
G-Mack, your sweet essay reflects your role here perfectly - peacemaker. Fair enough. Still your personal assessment of Stroppy after a few bar meetings can't be taken as a true look into his actions and/or motives.
Minus the personal insults and the fact that you compared his activities here to that of unspeakable crimes, I agree that it's wise to be sceptical of "missionaries" in general.

I think you've laid out the most important factor here: You hate/despise ALL missionaries; I don't.

That's a pretty big difference.

In theory, I see no problem with spreading the good word, LoL, just like I see no problem with you spreading the dangers of religion and warning people about missionaries.

It's the specific method used by the messenger that I feel's important.

I think many agreed with you to some extent on the other thread, but it's your method/way of putting it that made it hard for others to endorse your point of view.

And the fact that he'd meet up in a bar is also points in his favor. :)
dagenham wrote:
How many missionaries have you met?
Too many. Image

Some are a very outspoken of their plans here. Some (ok, most) aren't people I think are doing it right. So again, I just thought it was uncalled for to lash out at Stroppy like you did.

In my book, he's yet to do anything I disprove of or hint of a secret agenda. If he starts only allowing people to attend class that convert, then we can have another discussion. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

dagenham wrote: How can you possibly dismiss or ignore the following from the keyboard of Stroppy?:

"To get religious for just a moment, Christ gave us two new commandments - a) to go out into the whole world and preach His gospel, and b) to be good to others, especially those who have it harder than us, in the same way that He would be if He were physically here."

Well...why preach "His" gospel? For fun? To practice your speaking skills? For ambient noise? It has one singular purpose - conversion from another faith or none to the "Church of Christ" cult's program. So the program's generous point b) aint free after all - now is it?
Well hopefully you and Stroppy can stop abusing each other long enough to intelligently discuss this.

I am unfamiliar with the exact source for these "2 comandments" but assuming Jesus himself said this, the obvious question should be what does "preach the gospel" mean? This is quite relevant considering the bible was not written until well after Jesus was crucified and that it is very debatable as to whether Jesus actually specifically said he was God or Son of God . So what did he mean? >>>>>> stroppychops can answer????

If it meant following his EXAMPLE then no problem. If it means converting to Brand X then big problem.

Rather than accusing Stroppy of things you cannot prove you need to challenge him to articulate his beliefs on these things. If you think he is lying you can say so but without proof you have little argument.

We all know that many Missionaries lie, but no point personalizing it without evidence.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

dagenham wrote:
All missionaries lie, because they have to.
Again, I just can't accept that.

Are you saying that not a single missionary on the planet goes around and openly says their one and only goal is to convert people?

Of course they exist. Maybe it's you that haven't met enough missionaries, or maybe you've been too quick to cut them off before they've had a chance to explain anything to you.

And if you recall, I commented about that NGO Christian restaurant Nothing But Burgers review thread on the other topic that the manager had that "glowing Christian smile" that I'm not fond of. That was on the old forum, in case you were trying to find it.

So, don't think for one second I have any reason to stand up for Christians/missionaries. I'm just stating that Stroppy hasn't done or said anything that has made me suspicious of his agenda (unless you call being a Christian/missionary and helping out around the world to automatically be a bad thing no matter what).

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

dagenham wrote:
Why the "Church of Christ" cult mission sponsorship then? That's the bottom line, Brother...others are here volunteer teaching without cult funding...so it goes...
Sorry What exactly is Church of Christ? Why are you specifically negative about them?
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Rain Dog wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Sorry What exactly is Church of Christ? Why are you specifically negative about them?
I included some links in the other post - here they are again:

http://www.reveal.org/library/legal/wor ... _pros.html

http://culteducation.com/group/983-inte ... alies.html

"Originally, I was surprised that the Boston Church of Christ--infamous for its aggressive and manipulative brand of proselytizing--was still actively searching for converts on campus."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here/

Here is the definition of missionary, which Stroppy openly admitted he was:

missionary
ˈmɪʃ(ə)n(ə)ri/
noun
noun: missionary; plural noun: missionaries

a person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.

I'm not alone in being highly critical of the "Church of Christ" cult's methods and agenda. There is a huge amount of information about their suspect practices of recruitment on the net - I just posted the tip of the iceberg...

G-Mack, to answer your question - yes, I hate and distrust all missionaries and I think that they will lie to further their end-game goal of "saving souls". You state that you have met many missionaries and yet you didn't recount one concrete example of them telling you outright that they are here "primarily" to convert. This is because they would never say that - they would be castigated and criticized by many people immediately. They always have a smokescreen/front of "helping" the poor natives. This is an old tired story. Again, pages and pages are on the net about this specific topic.

Repeating myself, yet again...it aint a level playing field here. The missionaries come in with far more resources and education than those who they are trying to convert. This is Cambodia, not Austria. Just because you like Stroppy doesn't mean he is being truthful abut what he is up to here. No one but him, his cult organization and his students know. How could anyone else possibly know? By what Stroppy "says"? Are you kidding me?

I feel confident that he is being coy and covert - he has already revealed his true reason for being here as a faithful follower who's duty is to convert, he is being supported by a cult that openly is out to convert all the heathen on the planet. Hello? Why would they send him here? To only teach? Maybe some other organization would do that - but definitely not the "Church of Christ" who exist solely to save souls. Read their voiced agenda online. I didn't make it up...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

dagenham wrote:
I included some links in the other post - here they are again:

"Originally, I was surprised that the Boston Church of Christ--infamous for its aggressive and manipulative brand of proselytizing--was still actively searching for converts on campus."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here

Dag your first and third links give an error 404 not found. Your 2nd link goes to an article about some crazy guy in Papaua New Guinea who calls himself "Black Jesus" and has been accused of sex slavery and cannibalism. Ugly -- but no mention of "Church Of Christ" or Evangelicism"
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

I noticed that too, he copied the links only partial, is my guess.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Rain Dog wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Also, maybe unrelated, but I believe the Stroppies are paying their own way out here.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Jaap N. wrote:I noticed that too, he copied the links only partial, is my guess.
Fixed:

Also, searching "Church of Christ cult" yields more....

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here/

From the Harvard Crimson (paper from one of the worst universities in the world)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic