Legal Gun ownership?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Element5225
Tourist

Legal Gun ownership?

Post by Element5225 »

Hey, is it legal for a Western Expat to own a firearm in Cambodia? I can't find any reliable information online. If so, what is legal and what is not? ( I know rocket launchers and heavy machine guns are obviously illegal for the civilian)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Legal Gun ownership?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Simple answer...NO. Even possession of air soft, bb guns, etc is illegal.

Edit: Unless you're wealthy enough to purchase citizenship and a position in the police or armed forces.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Simple answer...NO. Even possession of air soft, bb guns, etc is illegal.

Edit: Unless you're wealthy enough to purchase citizenship and a position in the police or armed forces.
Yes for citizenship but there is no need for the position.
Gun ownership/carry firearms do exist but since they are currently under scrutiny, very difficult to obtain.
I informally applied for one last year but was told better to wait after next elections + very difficult without a company implying risky business.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Simple answer...NO. Even possession of air soft, bb guns, etc is illegal.

Bum guns are ok to use in the toilet only.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Yes for citizenship but there is no need for the position.
Gun ownership/carry firearms do exist but since they are currently under scrutiny, very difficult to obtain.
I informally applied for one last year but was told better to wait after next elections + very difficult without a company implying risky business.
Not legally!

As part of a Close Protection team for a high-net worth individual visiting Cambodia on business a couple of years ago we had to research the options available to us for armed team members, we met with lawyers, police, RCAF and other govt officials to ensure that we conducted our task within the letter of the law...which is that civilians cannot be in possession of firearms with exception of those mentioned in Article 5 of The Law on the Management of Weapons, Explosives and Ammunition.

http://www.opendevelopmentcambodia.net/ ... 05_Eng.pdf

Obviously it is still possible for civilians to acquire licenses and/or weapons due to the xorrupt nature of Cambodia...but it is NOT Legal!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Drleted...double post.
Last edited by PSD-Kiwi on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

why would anyone wants to own a gun? just pay money for a "bulletguard", if anything were to happen most probably people would shoot the guy with the gun, which is not you, after that just give some money for the funeral and hire another "bulletguard"
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Barang_doa_slae wrote: Yes for citizenship but there is no need for the position.
Not legally!

As part of a Close Protection team for a high-net worth individual visiting Cambodia on business a couple of years ago we had to research the options available to us for armed team members, we met with lawyers, police, RCAF and other govt officials to ensure that we conducted our task within the letter of the law...which is that civilians cannot be in possession of firearms with exception of those mentioned in Article 5 of The Law on the Management of Weapons, Explosives and Ammunition.

http://www.opendevelopmentcambodia.net/ ... 05_Eng.pdf

Obviously it is still possible for civilians to acquire licenses and/or weapons due to the xorrupt nature of Cambodia...but it is NOT Legal!

Thanks for that, it clarifies my understanding.
As always high officials don't know/apply the law as I was definitely told that legal licenses for civilians have been granted even if the law state otherwise.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Thanks for that, it clarifies my understanding.
As always high officials don't know/apply the law as I was definitely told that legal licenses for civilians have been granted even if the law state otherwise.
i think you confuse high net worth civilians and civilians, high net worth civilians have the ability to even upgrade their prison cells, so what is owning a gun to them? easy peasy with a few pieces of paper signed by local police chiefs to verify that you are in the poilce force. or if you dont have a khmer citizenship? just need 60,000$ to buy a few more piece of paper to show that you are a khmer citizen, this is how cambodia works.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No worries, always pays to conduct your own thorough due dilligence as opposed to trusting the word of a high up official who is most likely hoping for a nice donation towards their retirement/KTV fund.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic