OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"?

Post by Rain Dog »

:mrgreen: OMG=Pun Intended (Sorry if I stepped on your toes Vlad and crabtree)

>>>> To admin -- please do not move to other section. There is a method to my madness

I decided to write this in reply to the "Related to my faith" thread but decided not to post there as it has devolved into the personal slag fest that (Sadly) most religious discussions fall into.

But I see some other Evangelicals rushing in to support Stroppy in his argument with Dagenham.

Then I saw General Mach rush to Stroppy's defense and it occurred to me that perhaps that (Just as Dag is accusing stroppy of hiding his real intentions) perhaps General Mach is also hiding his. Maybe all these legendary tales about late nights and early mornings on 51 street are less about debauchery and more about saving lost souls from the eternal rages of Hellfire (?) Cambodia Evangelicals Online disguised as Cambodia Expats Online (?). Hmmm "The end justifies the means" --- Very Machiavellian.

:evil: Yea, I am being silly -- but it's fun and i wanted to post on that topic but not get caught in all the shit slinging on that thread.

So what say you -- Evangelicalism in Cambodia? Good or Bad?

@Stroppy and Dag I have some observations for both of you I could share here. But you should make peace ---- I thought "Love your Brothers and Sisters" applied to both Humanists and Christians (?)
Last edited by Rain Dog on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: OMG! Does CEO really mean "Cambodia Evangelicals Online"

Post by flying chicken »

So Stroppy is an Evangelist and Dag is an atheist. Reminds me of the movie Little Nicky.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

actually I think Dag claims to be an agnostic. I don't know the movie "Little Nicky"?
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

He did. But I think he is more inclined towards "atheistic agnosticism". I label myself as a "theist agnostic" and we definitely don't share the same views.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I'm an atheist and stand in relation the exact same to christianity as christianity stands in relation to the other one thousand recorded gods they don't believe in. I've just gone one god further.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Rain Dog wrote:
>>>> To admin -- please do not move to other section. There is a method to my madness
Too late! ....JK..

I think it's a very valid topic of discussion, and it's a shame the other thread turned into such a slagging mess.

Here is a link to the thread referenced to: http://www.CambodiaExpatsOnline.com/viewtopic.php?t=722

I think it's time to move that thread to the Arena. Don't worry, I'll leave a "shadow."

This thread is very well thought out, so no reason to move it. I also had more to say on that topic, but decided not to because it seemed to get pretty messy.

So, can everyone please discuss this in a civil manner? It's hard to justify keeping it in the General Chatter section if it turns nasty again. Thanks.

Rain Dog wrote:
Then I saw General Mach rush to Stroppy's defense and it occurred to me that perhaps that (Just as Dag is accusing stroppy of hiding his real intentions) perhaps General Mach is also hiding his. Maybe all these legendary tales about late nights and early mornings on 51 street are less about debauchery and more about saving lost souls from the eternal rages of Hellfire (?) Cambodia Evangelicals Online disguised as Cambodia Expats Online (?). Hmmm "The end justifies the means" --- Very Machiavellian.
LoL, very funny!

I'll say here what I wanted to say there.

Stroppy and Mrs Stroppy have both said they are missionaries, but are here to provide free education to the poor with no strings attached.

I've had the pleasure to meet them both, and in no way did they seem to have a secret agenda, or seen to have a "we are better then thou" attitude. They said they were Christians, and that was that. I've heard their loose plan here, and, IMHO, it didn't sound like it had a sinister/secret agenda at all.

I see no problems with Christians/missionaries going anywhere they like and helping out the community. That in itself is very Christian-like. And personally, I think that's the best way to get people interested in it. Leading by example, really. And how could I expect them not to practice and share their religion? I think it's a good setup they have.

And I also agree with Dagenham about Christians that prey on the poor and uneducated, and only offer help to heathens that repent. However, even Stroppy agrees with that, so that's not really worth discussing. That seems like a mean thing to accuse Stroppy of doing based ONLY on Dagenham's experience with previous Christians. He's kind of calling him a flat out liar by saying he MUST have ulterior motives when Stroppy is adamant that they don't.

So for me, I haven't seen any reasons to think he's doing anything wrong. Again, if being a Christian and moving to a poor country is something that's frowned upon, then I don't have much to say about it.

And for the record, since you cheekily alluded to it, I do not consider myself a Christian, or a member of any other religion.

I was raised as a 7th Day Adventist. And anyone who's studied the religion would almost certainly know my uncle, as he's written many widely published books about it. That has a lot to do with my thoughts on religion as a whole. Throughout his career I've seen him change his stance on some crucial issues. That makes me glad to see him still "studying and learning." However, it upsets me that each time he changes his stance, he's convinced he's definitely correct this time. It's ironic to me that Christianity requires so much faith, yet some people still to "prove" it correct. (Proving something wrong based on contradictions is another matter, and totally fine by me though.)

I've always said "if it wasn't for Christians I'd probably be one." LoL.

For me, religion should be a personal "choice" and something everyone should realize can't be proven.

I once started reading the Qur'an (yes, for fun) and I was shocked to realize I was practically reading the Bible, LoL. So, it's a fine line between many of them.

Another saying I think is interesting: God unites, religion divides.

So again, Dagenham had some good points, although seemed to go overboard, but based on my understanding of Stroppy's plans and after meeting him, I think he's doing a good thing. There would definitely be more interest in Christianity if more of them just went out and offered a helping hand across the globe to those less fortunate without strings attached.

Rain Dog wrote:Cambodia Evangelicals Online disguised as Cambodia Expats Online (?). Hmmm "The end justifies the means" --- Very Machiavellian.
Working on the new logo right now. :twisted:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

:thumb:
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Joon wrote:He did. But I think he is more inclined towards "atheistic agnosticism". I label myself as a "theist agnostic" and we definitely don't share the same views.
Curious as to what "Theistic agnostic" means and how your views differ from dagenham's.

I always thought that "Atheistic Agnostic' was a bit of a cop out born out of our inherited age of empiricism mindset. Sort of like "anything is possible but unless you can "prove" it to me, it must be false" mentality. It is a very Safe (if somewhat hypocritical when criticizing others) position because you can always demand proof from others without adding anything yourself.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

I'm more of a casual atheist, I certainly don't follow it religiously.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Garry.Crabtree wrote:I'm more of a casual atheist, I certainly don't follow it religiously.
HaHa --- meant to be a pun i am sure -- but there is wisdom there.

I would Argue that Atheism is the biggest religion out there; and it's followers are the most aggressive and intolerant of all 'isms' when it comes to pushing their views on to others.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic