Chinese take a slice of Cambodia (SIHANOUKVILLE)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

SIHANOUKVILLE, 24 March 2016: Cambodia and 13 Chinese companies have signed agreement, late last week, to develop and supply services to its Golden Silver Gulf resort project in Sihanoukville.

The signing ceremony was held in Phnom Penh, last week, between Yeejia Tourism Development and its development partners, witnessed by Deputy Prime Minister Yim Chhay Ly, the Council for Rural and Agricultural Development chairman, Tourism Minister Thong Khon, Environment Minister Say Samal, and Chinese Ambassador to Cambodia Bu Jianguo, as well as Chinese investors and representatives from relevant institutions.

Phnom Penh Post reported the resort is already under construction on 3,300 hectares inside Ream National Park, and is set to include villas, five-star hotels, an exhibition centre, duty-free shopping and health facilities.

No explanation was given on how a major tourism project could be approved on national park land.

The development will cover 28 km of pristine coastline on the Ream Peninsula and western half of Koh Thmei island.

The project is about 18 km from Sihanoukville and 7.3 km from Sihanoukville International Airport.

The construction of a highway connecting the resort to Sihanoukville’s airport as well as the main highway to Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh, will begin later this year.

The developer did not indicate the cost of the project, or timeline for completion. Previous media reports have indicated the development would cost around USD5 billion and take 20 years to complete, the report said.

Tourism Minister Thong Khon was quoted saying the opening of the Golden Silver Gulf resort would draw more Chinese tourists to Cambodia’s coast.

“This investment is part of a response to [China’s] ‘One Belt, One Road’ strategy and will attract more Chinese tourists.”

Whether revenue earned at the resort remains in the country and filters through to communities in an impoverished region remains to be seen.

Last year, the country attracted 4.77 million international visits compared to 4.50 million in 2014. Chinese arrivals ranked second recording 694,712 visits in 2015 increasing 24.0% from 560,335 visits in 2014.

Cambodia is expected to welcome as many as 2 million Chinese tourists to the kingdom by 2020.

Sihanoukville is the most popular beach town in Cambodia. It is a province in the southwest of Cambodia on the Gulf of Thailand. It is the oldest tourist destination on the coast and home to a thriving port and an airport.

Ministry of Tourism hopes to encourage international tourists to visit coastal areas and ecotourism destinations to take the pressure off Siem Reap, which dominates as the top tourist destination even surpassing Phnom Penh the capital.

Source: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2016/03/c ... -cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Chinese take a slice of Cambodia (SIHANOUKVILLE)

Post by SinnSisamouth »

go chinks!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

Exactly what happened at Mai Khao beach in Phuket years ago... give an inch, take a mile.....
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

we will not of that imperial nonsense here
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Interesting! They are probably also planning to relocate all those businesses there kicking off the beach to national parkland.
Stimulate jobs & the economy for the good of the Cambodian people, how wonderful! :crazy:
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Post by gavinbrisbane »

not 1 klm but 28 klms.....!! maybe I misread that........I hope so....
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

gavinbrisbane wrote:not 1 klm but 28 klms.....!! maybe I misread that........I hope so....

I didn't follow the link since I had read this article a few days ago already but anyway I remember that this particular concession for touristic development is about 3000ha maybe even 5000ha...

Check the Ream area on Google map. About a third of the national park if not more was cut out. The demarcation line is now quite visible, going horizontally from the edge of town to the river. The numerous roads visible south of this horizontal line have been opened by them in the past few years and start to draw something resembling their master plan.

Years back I walked several times along this coast, from the Prek Chas beach (as far as my car could go and almost at the western boundary of today's yieya Chinese concession) to the big river in front of koh Thmey, that must be about 10 to 15km. Since they also control 50% of Koh thmey they surely have about 30km of coast.

On a side note, to be more effective, this article should have made the parallel with the mamouth other coastal development concession awarded to another Chinese entity. Seemingly at a greater distance since 150km or so by car from SHV but in reality just across the bay, maybe 30km. I can't remember the numbers but the project is 3 or 4 time bigger than the one in Ream...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic