Is CEO Repeating The Mistakes of That Other Site

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Is CEO Repeating The Mistakes of That Other Site

Post by StroppyChops »

Soi Dog wrote:But whatever. Leave it. who cares anymore?
Well, Jesu... never mind!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:When you have 2 people who disagree, there WILL always be a back and forth... it's called a conversation. Sometimes others will chime in, or even dominate the conversation... sometimes not. Do you suggest that we shouldn't allow conversations? Or that we should somehow force others to participate more while 2 people are having one?
Are you reading those posts? When a thread deteriorates into a slag fest then why not move it to the asinine forum? The "multiple other posters" you see there are all basically only saying "enough of this, dude, shut up".

But whatever. Leave it. who cares anymore?
Just read the last few pages... and no, they're not. it's not even really a slag fest. some people are arguing one side, other another... which will get heated... but they're having a conversation and resolving a conflict to some degree. other people chipping in are doing so often about the subject. ONE person chimed in with a "too long, didn't read"...

all in all it seems a thread on the subject of christians and their impact in cambodia which has the benefit of having people from multiple sides of the subject weighing in on it.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Rain Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:That quantity you dislike is the lifeblood of a forum... and why facebook/twitter has killed off so many.
Meh --- you need a balance. Interesting content is the lifeblood of a forum -- not 3 or 4 mega-posters on a big "inside joke" about everything. Bring the content and the posts will follow (Some Serious -- Some not). Without content you are easily replaced by Facebook.

That was my problem with the other forum. There were always some good topics --- but people were so territorial about protecting their turf ---- and when there was "light-hearted banter" it was always some inside joke. I just found the forum impenetrable. To their credit they have raised their game a little bit over the past two weeks. I have my doubts they can truly change their spots ---- in the same way I have doubts about you guys consistently bringing enough content here to make it sustainable long term.

As much as I dislike KIR's heavy handed and mean-spirited style I am actually "rooting" for both forums. At the very least, you will keep each other honest.
I'm agreeing with Rain Dog here. I'm a member of a forum that has very strict moderation and an off-topic section for social posting. I only need to log in once per day to keep up to date but I read every update that interests me because there's a 99% chance of it being relevant. Here I often wait for a full page of replies before loading a thread because I anticipate scrolling past half of them.

If content devoid of context was my priority I'd use facebook or twitter. I know it's difficult getting a balance and different people have different tastes. That's why I suggested a heavily moderated section for those who dislike one-liners and banter.

Years ago someone posted on 440 a critique of moderation saying that thread drift was normal and mods should allow threads to go off topic as the same phenomena happens in live conversation. Apart from the fact that it's easy to maintain multiple convos simultaneously online the comment presented a funny image in my mind;

A conversation between K440 members;

OP: Good evening gentleman I was wandering what your take on this situation is and the affect it will have on Columbia.....

[3 or 4 relevant replies]

English teacher #1: I believe you should have used the word 'effect' rather than 'affect'. A common mistake please read my 500 word essay on the subject.
English teacher #2: I disagree. 500 word essay.
ET1: 300 word rebutal
ET2: blah blah blah
Useless person: :thumb: :beer3:
pedantic person: Ha Ha typo. You meant Colombia not Columbia.
Fanboy: You spotted a typo!! Well done!!
Random Person: I hate America! Here's a massive off topic rant.
Mod: Would you please keep it on topic. I won't delete any posts unless I'm in a bad mood in which case I'll delete half of them and make the conversation impossible to follow.
Scarier than malaria.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ lol. That's actually pretty accurate. :dm:
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

FreeSocrates! wrote:^ lol. That's actually pretty accurate. :dm:
Glad you liked it. It's good that I can post this somewhere it won't be deleted in double-quick time. I'm hesitant to make lengthy posts there because I don't want it to be a wasted effort if someone haphazardly deletes it for no reason.

K440 also bought out the worst in me at times. I'd snap at people and chase them away because I didn't want my threads to be dominated by snarky one liners.
Scarier than malaria.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ali baba wrote:
K440 also bought out the worst in me at times.
I'm guilty of that too. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.
Scarier than malaria.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

The only post I got deleted there without notice was mentioning "p***ing" and "r***ing" because the narrow-mindedness was getting on my nerves. I assume it was much too edgy, even by K440 standards.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Joon wrote:The only post I got deleted there without notice was mentioning "p***ing" and "r***ing" because the narrow-mindedness was getting on my nerves. I assume it was much too edgy, even by K440 standards.
Hey my jokes get deleted there quicker than my internet browsing history on my wife's laptop.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

UKJ wrote:
+ 10
It puzzles me why so many still use that forum. After I was banned, and insulted, I would never have rejoined, or use any business connected or supporting the site. I did still visit as a guest, as there was no other source of info, but I didn't like even giving them the views/ stats. Now that we have here, I don't visit it. I used it up until the CEO thread was closed and the 440 for sale thread died. People with KiR's attitude should be shunned.
I also agree with you and soi dog. I still post there because I was never banned there and frankly was never treated badly there. But If I was treated as badly as some of you were, there is no way I would go back --- particularly now that there are alternatives.
Last edited by Rain Dog on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic