Number of Visitors to Angkor Increase Again

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Number of Visitors to Angkor Increase Again

Post by TheGrinchSR » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm

phuketrichard wrote:double :thumb: :thumb:

Agree i have spoken with many that have seen Angkor and were happy with the one time experience.
still there's a billion Chinese just waiting to enjoy the KTV's and buffets :-)
with out Angkor wat, little reason to visit Cambodia for most, except for backpackers that also visit Laos on their way to Vietnam
or the Chinese to gamble
Cambodia needs to get better at promoting what it does have Koh Ker, Preah Vihear, Sambor Prei Kuk, etc. are all brilliant but woefully under-represented. Most reports of Preah Vihear, for example, still think there's a shooting war with Thailand going on over it. You can understand why that misinformation might put people off visiting, can't you?

Koh Ker and Preah Vihear were the highlights of my time in Cambodia. The absence of huge visitor numbers made them so much more impacting than the Angkor Temples (which admittedly are rather wonderful all the same).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:27 pm

phuketrichard wrote:Question;
how many of ya know where the ONLY smiling Aspara dancer is located at Angkor Wat?
Same question posted by you here https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/cambodi ... ml#p100530

Same answer from theGrinch on the next page, here https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/cambodi ... ml#p100563

:plus1:
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:29 pm

i loved kor ker and
Banteay Chhmer

PV had a bit of a bad experience there but the views were fantastic.

This trip in August will visir the far north west Rattanakiri and Mondulkiri
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:33 pm

TheGrinchSR wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:double :thumb: :thumb:

Agree i have spoken with many that have seen Angkor and were happy with the one time experience.
still there's a billion Chinese just waiting to enjoy the KTV's and buffets :-)
with out Angkor wat, little reason to visit Cambodia for most, except for backpackers that also visit Laos on their way to Vietnam
or the Chinese to gamble
Cambodia needs to get better at promoting what it does have Koh Ker, Preah Vihear, Sambor Prei Kuk, etc. are all brilliant but woefully under-represented. Most reports of Preah Vihear, for example, still think there's a shooting war with Thailand going on over it. You can understand why that misinformation might put people off visiting, can't you?

Koh Ker and Preah Vihear were the highlights of my time in Cambodia. The absence of huge visitor numbers made them so much more impacting than the Angkor Temples (which admittedly are rather wonderful all the same).
I went to both Koh Ker and Preah Vihear temple. I was attempting the write the trip report, but then i opted not to do it given the fact that many people here have been there too, but didn't bother to write up. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm

phuketrichard wrote:i loved kor ker and
Banteay Chhmer

PV had a bit of a bad experience there but the views were fantastic.

This trip in August will visir the far north west Rattanakiri and Mondulkiri
I damn near crippled my fat arse climbing Preah Vihear after 3 years of not walking further than the end of the road... it was worth it though. I wish I had taken water with me though... I'd have like to spend longer appreciating the view rather than running down hill into the embrace of an old Khmer lady clutching cold bottles of water. I think she was so surprised I knew how to ask for them in Khmer that she forgot to rip me off for them too. :-)
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic