Anyone have mechanic know how?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Anyone have mechanic know how?

Post by Macmullo »

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to post this but I didn't know where else to put it.
I have an 08 suzuki viva. It's been a solid bike for the last 8 months. Recently been having a really hard time getting it started in the mornings, or anytime it sits for more than a few hours. It starts, then stalls out probably 20 times before she will run solid.
I've been to many mechanics, had the air filter cleaned out, fuel system cleaned, idle adjusted, spark plug replaced. Everything I can think of.
Wondering if anyone here is mechanicly enclined or has had a similar issue?
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Anyone have mechanic know how?

Post by Sailorman »

I've not worked on this model bike, but have worked on engines to 6000hp,(shipboard steam plants to 35,000hp), rebuilt vintage motorcycles and cars. There isn't very much that can cause this. Fuel or electric problems. (Think of your engine as a hot air engine. While making hot air it also make torque/motion.) My first guess is the carburetor. Did you have a fuel filter on it? How often did you change it? (I change the big one on my truck every month.) There are things inside of you carb called "jets." The fuel pass's through these on the way to the engine. If they get dirt in them and/or a dirty buildup, things will happen like you describe.

There should be a small drain on the bottom of the carb. Turn off the fuel at the tank and unscrew the plug/drain on the bottom of the carb (floatbowl.) (have something to catch the fuel.) Put the plug back in. You have already gone down and bought some injector/carb cleaner. (the garage just past the small market in Sihanoukville has this, tell them "grandfather" sent you. Most any shop should have this.) Here comes the hard part. Undo the fuel line from the gas tank. Wrap some rags around the hose and carefully pore the carb cleaner down the hose until it won't take anymore. Let this set at least overnight, then drain the carb again, replace the plug and turn the gas on and try to start it.
OR
Dump carb/injector cleaner into your gas tank. Get it to run so it gets the cleaner in the carb. Let it set at least overnight.

OR

Find a good mechanic and have him take the carb apart and clean it, also looking for any broken parts like a diaphragm. Make sure he knows what "jets" are.

OR
Save all the trouble and buy a new carb.

If this doesn't work than its electrical and a whole can of worms. I'd start with checking to see if all the wiring is properly grounding and the coil is alive.

BTW/ My lawnmower had the same problem. The fuel here is crap and full of dirt and water. After I use it, I dump a little carb/injector cleaner in the tank and run it for a few minutes. Since it sets for weeks at a time this gives the cleaner a chance to work.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

^ Good answer. Didn't know carb cleaner was ubiquitous out here. :thumb: I just take the thing apart and use a piece of thin wire to unblock the jets, that's if you can get at them. Those cheap Chinese carbs don't split in two!

Here it is again, but for the home enthusiast,

I would check the electrics first by screwing the spark plug out and plugging it back into the lead then hold the end against the cylinder head and turn the bike over. Use caution as you may get a shock, I normally use rubber-handled pliers lol.

If you are getting a strong blue spark, it would appear that it is not the electrical system unless it is a timing issue. If it is a weak yellow or blue, Probably the coil/s need replacing or aren't earthed well.

Note: Be very Careful that you don't cross thread the spark plug when you put it back in.If it doesn't screw in easily by hand for the first few turns, take it out and try again until it does. After you have it aligned properly use the spanner to do it up till it just catches and give another 1/4 turn. Don't over-tighten it.

If the spark looks good and strong: On to the fuel system next;

If it starts badly and doesn't tick over or perform well under about 20 Kph, but is OK over that speed, it is probably the idle jet.

If it idles ok but as soon as you go over 20 Kph or so and then stutters or has frequent loss of power etc, it will probably be the main jet.

After you have cleaned the carb, install one of those fuel filters ($1) into the fuel line so you don't have to do it again.
If it is the carb and not the electrics, it is probably blocking from bits of rust etc in the tank going through.

Any good car or bike mechanics book like Haynes will walk you through problems for both the fuel and the electrical systems re a troubleshooting flow chart etc. Doesn't need to be for your particular model just so long as it's for a petrol engine with a carburetor, the process is the same. Although, the right book for the right bike does help you identify and locate the correct parts if your a newbie so to speak.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Good answer also, but with the dirty fuel here, I would attack the fuel system first. Other than the manuals I imported for my LandCruiser and Honda Phantom, I have yet to see any service manuals or a Haynes manuals here in Cambodia. There are though a lot of manuals online and lots of good information there. The Singaporebikes site has a lot of information.
Macmullo
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Macmullo »

I got a different mechanic to clean out the fuel system. seemed to come down to a restricted fuel line as well as it need a new spark plug wire.
Runs better than ever now!
Thanks for the advice.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Was it one of the jets or the actual fuel line? Old rust buckets seem to clog up easily around the petlock, but there's no reason an 08 would do that. Glad it's sorted out. I had a very similar problem (near impossible cold starting) on a bigger bike and figured it was my intake valve, but when I brought it to a shop, turns out my valves were in spec, but my fuel screw adjustment was off and my spark plug was slightly unscrewed... Always start with the stupid stuff first (air, fuel). I usually always do, but didn't that time.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Always start with the stupid stuff first (air, fuel).
I agree, forgot about a blocked air intake.

Also, it only takes a novice 5 mins to check the spark.

It sounds like the OP got his idle jet cleaned and maybe there was also a bad connection from the coil to the plug via the lead. Glad it's fixed.
Make sure you have one of those fuel filters or you'll be doing the same again soon.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic