Eclipse happening right now!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Eclipse happening right now!

Post by frank lee bent »

most of Cambodian believed that solar eclipse is a really bad event and they don't want it to happen. Cambodia believed that if solar eclipse happened there would be something bad follow. In Cambodia, especially​ in the countryside, when the solar eclipse is happening, people would hit whatever they could find to make sound and all monks would get up and chant.
these same things were common in europe until the 1700's
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Samouth wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
I thought you said you didn't want it. I've already given it to JB for his excellent post.
I know you wouldn't pay for my long island as it is more expensive than the pineapple. No worries, i am earning enough to pay for my long island. However what i am earning in one month is not even with what Kiwiincambodia might have spent in one night. Poor Cambodian.
Or stupid Kiwi lol (only joking). Of course I would have bought you one, just so long as they didn't try to charge me double :plus1:
Don't take it seriously, the whole thing is just joking too. I will definitely write up about it, even though you might have already learnt some from UT and JB's posts. I was so busy the last couple days.
Just saw this, don't worry Samouth I would be happy to meet you and buy you as many long islands as you can drink.
Ok, three long island iced teas are on your bill.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's a great story, I'm always amazed how many ancient traditional beliefs and practices are still common all over the world.
This practice of a woman shielding her lower body using rocks/clay etc is especially interesting though. That would actually be an effective shield against radiation (cosmic rays etc) which probably change during eclipses.

I'm not any kind of expert on these rays but many can be deadly and others can cause cancers or mutations. I've noticed people often wear lead rolled-up amulets around their waists too, or often kids have them as necklaces. I always thought this was crazy, because lead is a very toxic metal and you should avoid too much contact with it.

However, lead is one of the best shields against radiation. So, my hypothesis based on this limited information is that Cambodians knew about radiation hundreds of years before it was discovered by the west.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:It's a great story, I'm always amazed how many ancient traditional beliefs and practices are still common all over the world.
This practice of a woman shielding her lower body using rocks/clay etc is especially interesting though. That would actually be an effective shield against radiation (cosmic rays etc) which probably change during eclipses.

I'm not any kind of expert on these rays but many can be deadly and others can cause cancers or mutations. I've noticed people often wear lead rolled-up amulets around their waists too, or often kids have them as necklaces. I always thought this was crazy, because lead is a very toxic metal and you should avoid too much contact with it.

However, lead is one of the best shields against radiation. So, my hypothesis based on this limited information is that Cambodians knew about radiation hundreds of years before it was discovered by the west.

Brilliant! BTW did you get my PM. :thumb:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

John Bingham wrote:It's a great story, I'm always amazed how many ancient traditional beliefs and practices are still common all over the world.

Right. Cambodians do wear lead rolled up amulets. Many people in the countryside do, but i have never wore it myself.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Is an eclipse harmful during pregnancy?

The BabyCenter India editorial team
Our panel of health writers.

There is no evidence to suggest that an eclipse can harm a pregnant mum or her baby.

Eclipses are seen all over the world and in many countries there is no tradition of staying indoors during one. However, in many cultures, an eclipse is considered a bad omen.

There are some superstitions that an eclipse can cause deformities such as a cleft lip or unsightly birthmarks, but the scientific evidence does not support this belief.

If you or your family are concerned about the effects of an eclipse, there is no harm in following the customs. After all, it is just for a few hours and if it offers you and your family peace of mind, it is probably worth it.

But if you cannot stay indoors and abide by the usual dos and don'ts, or just don't want to, rest assured that this does not necessarily mean that your baby will come to harm or be born with a birthmark.

Some of the common restrictions believed to keep a pregnant mum and her baby safe during an eclipse include:
not using any sharp object such as a knife, scissors or a needle for the duration of the eclipse
not eating anything for the duration of the eclipse
resting as much as possible during the eclipse
covering the windows with newspaper or thick curtains so that no rays of the eclipse enter the home
throwing away all cooked food from before the eclipse
taking a bath after the eclipse is over

If you follow these precautions strictly, be careful not to go too long without food or drink. Some families believe that an expecting woman should not drink water during an eclipse. However, this can put you at risk of dehydration, especially if the eclipse is during summer. And fasting for a long time can cause:
headaches
fatigue
fainting
dizzy spells
severe acidity

If you have any of these symptoms talk to your doctor right away.

If you are out and about during an eclipse, one precaution you do need to take is to protect your eyes. In an eclipse, it is possible to look directly at the sun without much discomfort to your eyes at the time. But doing so can cause severe damage to your eyes without you even knowing it.

Visit our pregnancy myths and truths area to make informed choices about what's safe and what's not during pregnancy and beyond.

Take our poll
Did you venture out during an eclipse? Vote now!

http://www.babycenter.in/x1011503/is-an ... z438Tjf7UZ
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i have a friend whos dad built a massive bunker in the 60's then built there house on top , middle of know where iirc

fast forward 45 years and both parents are dead and they are left with this ghastly looking 60s behemoth house , with a huge "storage area" underneath

anyway they move out and it lies empty for years and after being vandalised and burnt down the family are forced to do something about it. nearly bankrupt my mate

they decide to demolish it themselves and sell the land to the local village for a sports are/green

they get to the basement and find that its encased in 6 inch thick lead!

anyway they sold the lead for significantly more than the land and basically set up him for life due to the high cost at the time

true story
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic