Ta Ju-Ju - Khmer legend-fairytale

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Otis
Expatriate

Ta Ju-Ju - Khmer legend-fairytale

Post by Otis »

There is this Khmer Legend staring Ta Ju-Ju [the difficulty of spelling it is the problem]. Ta means grandfather or old man and is a very common salutation.

The legend involves Ta wanting to marry or abduct a young beautiful princess and goes on from there in typical chaotic violent Khmer/Brothers Grimm style.

Can anyone send me to a good internet site on this and give me a good spelling. My gf calls me this from time to time, actually most of the time.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Ta Ju-Ju - Khmer legend-fairytale

Post by Samouth »

It should be Ta Ju Juk. It is a very old fairy-tale about Buddhist and very sad. I remembered when i was young i watched this movie it almost brought me tear.

BTW, i don't know why your girlfriend called you Ta Ju Juk, i guess she didn't mean to call you like that, but just to have a bit of fun with you by playing some words. In the fairy-tale Ta Ju Juk is really old bad beggar and in which later ended up killing himself by eating too much.

Here is a brief of the fairy-tale

Ta Ju Juk is an old man and he is a beggar, but he is a rich beggar. He managed to save a lot of money and gold by begging from people. So, he left his save money and gold with a family that has a really beautiful daughter. After leaving the money and gold with the family, he went around the place to beg more from people. After day and day, Ta Ju Juk (old grandpa) didn't come back and the family thought he might already dead. So they spent the money and gold that ta Ju Juk left with them. However, surprisingly Ta ju juk showed up and asked for his money and gold. Because they already spent all the money and gold that he left with them, so they can't return them back to him. So, Ta ju Juk asked them to let their only daughter becoming his wife. They agreed, so the only and really beautiful daughter became his wife.

Ta Ju Juk really love her as she is young and very beautiful. he would do everything for her and he didn't allow her to do anything. Ta ju juk still work as a beggar. One day, his young wife told him that she wanted to some waiters around her. So, Ta ju juk agree with her and promised to bring her waiters.

Buddhist is the prince and he has two children, one son and daughter. One day, he realised that he wanted to be a monk and later a god. So he leaf everything behind. He left the palace and would give away everything. He left the palace with his wife and two kids without anything into the forest.

While living in the forest, Ta ju juk learnt that the prince would give a way everything if people ask for as he wanted to become a god. So Ta ju juk went to see him and asked for his two kids to live with him. Ta ju juk planned to bring the two kids to his wife and make them become his wife's waiters. His wife was really upset learning their her kids were given to someone. Ta ju juk treated them really bad. He physically abused them and sometime didn't allow them to eat and forced them to work hard even though they are still young.

The king realised that his only two grand-kids were given away to an old beggar, so he called ta ju juk to come to palace and also bring the two children. Ta ju juk didn't realise that they are king's grandkids. At the place, a big party was ready prepared for ta ju juk with a lot of good foods. So Ta ju juk ate to death. The king and his grand-kids reunited.

In overall, Ta Ju Juk is a really bad person.

Ta ju juk and his young wife

Ta ju juk with the prince's two kids

You might can see some pictures of Ta ju juk and fairytale-related pictures on the wall of pagoda.

This song is all about the prince's wife learning that her two kids were given away.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Otis wrote: My gf calls me this from time to time, actually most of the time.
:plus1:
Very cute. I hope you have a sense of humour.
Thanks Samouth. :thumb:
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think she just made a fun. Even he is a beggar but he really loved his wife and had a lot of money.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"My gf calls me this from time to time, actually most of the time."
Yes, she does have a sense of humor.

Thanks for the above long story and explanation. It does have some similarity to the grim Grimm fairytales - Hansel and Gretel and L. Riding-hood come to mind.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"My gf calls me this from time to time, actually most of the time."
Yes, she does have a sense of humor.

Thanks for the above long story and explanation. It does have some similarity to the grim Grimm fairytales - Hansel and Gretel and L. Riding-hood come to mind.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

Sound like a combination of Chinese opera and Thai soap opera - the 2 ardent delight of the Khmer.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic