Foreigner loses the plot on Pub Street

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Foreigner loses the plot on Pub Street

Post by juansweetpotato »

Kuroneko wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote: Phnom Penh has gone from a slightly colourful dump to a menacing place.
I'm not seeing this, and nobody else has mentioned it either.
I think it might have something to do with the influx of money and the gentle push to get rid of the locals who have made the place their home.
It's local people who have all this money, and who own the vast majority of property. They aren't going anywhere.
I don't see that either, I have lived in PP for 20 years in pretty much every area. I go out most nights and certainly don't find the place in any way menacing, as it could be occasionally back in the '90's.There are plenty of nice places to live now (western style condos etc) and the majority are owned or rented by Khmer. In my condo for example, most of my neighbors are reasonably well off Khmer. Also the number of restaurants, wine bars and clubs have really mushroomed in the last year, making Phnom Penh a great place to be out at night. A large part of the clientele are also Khmer, which wasn't the case 20 years ago.
There are plenty of nice places to live now (western style condos etc) and the majority are owned or rented by Sino-Khmer.
Corrected that for you. Well at least in my fairly limited knowledge it is. There is not one private student that I have taught from these new condos/ villas that hasn't been Sino Khmer. Just met a new client. I think possibly the wealthiest yet. Sino- Khmer. Remembering of course that the Sino-Khmer only make up at most %5 of the population.

What are your thoughts on the so called pure Khmer owning such properties? And how about the Muong etc?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Foreigner loses the plot on Pub Street

Post by juansweetpotato »

bkktrapper wrote:
hanno wrote:
bkktrapper wrote:
hanno wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
Really? I don't think I know anyone who eats muesli
You haven't been to ARTillery Cafe then :D . Full of Muesli-eating, gluten-intolerant, vegan NGO volunteers that attack Yoga with a passion. The reason I avoid this place....
Did you see in bondi hipsters in there?

Something like that. Pretentious little fcuks. I like to eat healthy but I do not make a effing religion out of it. And if I ever looks as miserable as some of these cnuts, it'll be back to fast food and any other shit I can cram down my throat.
Welcome to my world lad.
Hahaha. I remember it all started for me back in the 80's when I'd just got back after a year wondering round India eating fresh produce. I got back to the UK to find the businesses were putting the same old crap in a brown paper bag and charging double for it. Then I moved to Wales where it seemed this stuff was born. But I'm probably wrong. It could also be an evolution of the dog-on-a-string travelers that used to annoy the weekend hippies at festivals with their thieving, pot smoking little kids. ;)
Add a touch of Goa and more recently Ko Phangan plus more than a smidgen of Thatcher in the most recent incarnation too.

Good video BTW. :thumb:
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic