Hundreds of Westerners Living Rough On Streets of Thailand, Land of Smile

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Hundreds of Westerners Living Rough On Streets of Thailand, Land of Smile

Post by General Mackevili »

SinnSisamouth wrote:get a room u 2
Cleaned up a bit. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Hundreds of Westerners Living Rough On Streets of Thailand, Land of Smile

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

LOL this thread...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

Rutiger wrote:Do we have any pattaya dwellers here? What's the current pattaya-bound tourist demographic? Last I heard its was full-on russian/India/Middle Easterrens and Turks with MUCH fewer Germans, Brits and Americans than the old days. I imagine still quite a few Aussies. though, and much fewer Russians with the Ruble so weak the past year. Are the Chinese making their way to Pattaya yet? It's got to be only a matter of time before all those unmarried horny Chinese dudes start ditching the group tours and start hitting the girlie bars there. Mabye a wave of Iranians headed that way too soon with the reopening of trade and flowing oil incomes.

I live in Pattaya Rutiger. The biggest change tourist wise is the sheer volume of Chinese on tour bus holidays, by far the largest market now. As you mention the Russians who had become the major players have been obliterated by their currency devaluation. The Indians are another group that is growing but I've noticed that they tend to be around more in low season.

Just came back from a 650km weekend football round trip to Suphanburi which is about 100km north of Bangkok. Was walking back to my hotel last night after the game and came to a streetside bar where local supporters were drinking and watching a later game. Seeing I was an away supporter they invited me to join them and we had a good laugh and drink for a couple of hours. Went to pay my bill and they would have none of it , I was their guest in their town, even insisted on giving me a lift back to my hotel rather than let me walk. Turned out 1 was a local police officer and 2 of the others were in the army. :D I'm happy to base my views on Thailand on experiences and interactions like I had this weekend.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

CowshedCowboyRedux wrote:
Rutiger wrote:Do we have any pattaya dwellers here? What's the current pattaya-bound tourist demographic? Last I heard its was full-on russian/India/Middle Easterrens and Turks with MUCH fewer Germans, Brits and Americans than the old days. I imagine still quite a few Aussies. though, and much fewer Russians with the Ruble so weak the past year. Are the Chinese making their way to Pattaya yet? It's got to be only a matter of time before all those unmarried horny Chinese dudes start ditching the group tours and start hitting the girlie bars there. Mabye a wave of Iranians headed that way too soon with the reopening of trade and flowing oil incomes.

I live in Pattaya Rutiger. The biggest change tourist wise is the sheer volume of Chinese on tour bus holidays, by far the largest market now. As you mention the Russians who had become the major players have been obliterated by their currency devaluation. The Indians are another group that is growing but I've noticed that they tend to be around more in low season.

Just came back from a 650km weekend football round trip to Suphanburi which is about 100km north of Bangkok. Was walking back to my hotel last night after the game and came to a streetside bar where local supporters were drinking and watching a later game. Seeing I was an away supporter they invited me to join them and we had a good laugh and drink for a couple of hours. Went to pay my bill and they would have none of it , I was their guest in their town, even insisted on giving me a lift back to my hotel rather than let me walk. Turned out 1 was a local police officer and 2 of the others were in the army. :D I'm happy to base my views on Thailand on experiences and interactions like I had this weekend.
Nice trip report. :thumb:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I cant recall in 30 years of road trips throughout the land, ( Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia) ever having had a bad experience,
until i hit Sihanoukville :stir:

Worst cops in the whole region
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

CowshedCowboyRedux wrote:

i do agree ive had plenty of experiences where the hospitality of the thais are no different to the khmers
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote:I cant recall in 30 years of road trips throughout the land, ( Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia) ever having had a bad experience,

That's a good report, I've never had any bad experiences with cops in this region either. I still know that it is easily possible to have terrible experiences with law enforcement here if you deal with them in the wrong way, or they are drunk etc.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1st lesson in doing roads trips in the area,
NEVER DRIVE AT NIGHT!!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

phuketrichard wrote:1st lesson in doing roads trips in the area,
NEVER DRIVE AT NIGHT!!!!
I learned that lesson the hard way in 1990 doing Chiangmai to Pai at 11pm.
It ended up beeing a bike chase with me as the prey but I managed to loose whomever was chasing me.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:I cant recall in 30 years of road trips throughout the land, ( Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Cambodia) ever having had a bad experience,

That's a good report, I've never had any bad experiences with cops in this region either. I still know that it is easily possible to have terrible experiences with law enforcement here if you deal with them in the wrong way, or they are drunk etc.
ive paid more police fines/bribes in hua hin than i have in sihanoukville
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic