US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Post by Rutiger »

asp wrote:So, can someone tell me if it is possible to open an account in the US while residing in Cambodia so that I can have my checks direct deposited?
I believe every online banking institution will require some forms of state-issued ID, "Driver’s License, State-Issued ID, or Military ID Number". the application form seems to restrict proof of ID to State-issued ID with home address and not a Federally-issued passport as being allowable as ID. The application also requires a mailing address too, but also has a "Country Code" box, so I guess you can put in a foreign address for that. I don't know if they would actually mail your new debit cards to a foreign address or not. Then you have to transfer some money into the new account via electronic bank transfer or mail a check to get the account open and ready for direct deposit.

Here is the E*Trade application screen for an online checking account.
https://us.etrade.com/open-account/checking-account

It sounds like the problem for you may be the valid driver's license?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
asp
Expatriate

Post by asp »

Rutiger, thanks for an honest attempt to solve this problem. Unfortunately my stateside license expired years ago.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Fyi, i get my ss checks direct deposit into my US citibank account. Of course i do live in thailand.
All u would need do is have a us bank account and a thai adress. As once/ year they send out a letter u need return, signed saying ur alive.
I dont know about opening a us account if ur not there, i know charles schwab wont alllow u but check citibank, or wells fargo. You will need a us address. I get my cards sent to my us adress( my daughter) and she forwards to me, i have kept a us adress and ca driving license valid even thou have only lived 16 months in the states since 1982. Dont know why anyone would give up a us address, its so easy to mantain, even using friends adresses.

If u need a thai adress let me know.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I don't think you can do it with just a Cambodian bank from here. As it involves the SS for direct deposit. Shouldn't you contact them for the information just doing that from here is a big hassle limited as to what you can do with them online.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

You can open an overseas Schwab account with a minimum balance. No ATM fees and they will reimburse you for ATM fees of the other bank.
hondojim
Tourist

Post by hondojim »

Seems like a lot of America bashers on this forum.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: US Social Security checks in Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

Mojo wrote:You can open an overseas Schwab account with a minimum balance. No ATM fees and they will reimburse you for ATM fees of the other bank.
I have that card. It's great. Amazing to see a bunch of $5 charges credited back every month. I think $60 might be my monthly record. I feel it's just a matter of time until they realize that I probably shouldn't have this card.

And no fees for international transactions.

hondojim wrote:Seems like a lot of America bashers on this forum.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Mojo wrote:You can open an overseas Schwab account with a minimum balance. No ATM fees and they will reimburse you for ATM fees of the other bank.
Are u sure?
I applied online , got the test transaction to my citibank account and than they asked me to call them. When they found out i was overseas they put the account on hold till i personally went to verify myself in the states
This was last year,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

I opened an international account while living abroad over the phone. This was a few years ago so maybe it's changed
NokTang
Expatriate

Post by NokTang »

Many I know here in Thailand claim the only bank you can use is Bangkok Bank. Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York City. You can arrange to have your Social Security benefit deposited directly into Bangkok Bangkok in New York which transfers it almost instantly into your Thai account, in Baht, at a fair exchange rate. This of course then could be withdrawn at an ATM or inside a bank in Cambodia with some cash advance fees. Your next question, which branches of Bangkok Bank and can you open an account with a tourist VISA I don't honestly know. I know some will and some won't. Since this would be a one off thing, get a proper tourist VISA in Phnom Penh, for Thailand, and try and open an account with Bangkok Bank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic