Sceptics question police push for female recruits

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Female police officers attend a meeting regarding the recruitment of women into the bodyguard unit in Phnom Penh on Friday. National Police
Female police officers attend a meeting regarding the recruitment of women into the bodyguard unit in Phnom Penh on Friday. National Police
Mon, 7 March 2016
Mech Dara

Cambodia’s National Police chief had said he wants to increase female recruitment into the force this year, in part to reduce “inappropriate” clashes between male police and female protesters, though observers were sceptical that simply hiring more women would solve endemic problems in the force.

In a speech on Friday, National Police Chief General Neth Savoeun said a mere 5.7 per cent of police officers were women – less than 3,000 out of a total of 50,000 officers.

Savoeun said political protests in 2013 – “under the incitement of the opposition party” – had highlighted “a weak point” for the force.

“We held a woman lawmaker [Mu Sochua] because she had committed crimes and violence that risked society, but at Phnom Penh’s intervention unit, there were no women, so men arrested her,” he said.

“We had to search her, and at that time we did not equipment, so we use our hands to check her. When people saw it, it looked inappropriate.”

In his speech, Savoeun also maintained that women were more “difficult” and costly to employ.

“When we send male forces to the province, for example, they take a hammock and they can rest and work. But if we send women, we have to think about accommodation,” he said.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Sceptics question police push for female recruits

Post by Username Taken »

kiwiincambodia wrote:In his speech, Savoeun also maintained that women were more “difficult” and costly to employ.
Boss, I can't come to work today because I'm having my period. :assasin:
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: RE: Re: Sceptics question police push for female recruits

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:In his speech, Savoeun also maintained that women were more “difficult” and costly to employ.
You would be surprised how often I hear this from staff.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Sceptics question police push for female recruits

Post by Jerry Atrick »

kiwiincambodia wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Male or female?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: RE: Re: Sceptics question police push for female recruits

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jerry Atrick wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:
Username Taken wrote:
Male or female?
Mainly female but I swear it's only a matter of time until one of the lazy males trys to get away with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic