Girlfriend Wants to Travel to Cambodia and Propose to Her Boyfriend at Preah Vihear (Reddit)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Girlfriend Wants to Travel to Cambodia and Propose to Her Boyfriend at Preah Vihear (Reddit)

Post by General Mackevili »

"Here's the deal. My boyfriend and I are hoping to travel to Cambodia later this year. It's been his dream for so long to go to Angkor Wat. He feels a deep spiritual connection to the history of a place he's never even been before; he talks about it with such revere, I just know it means a lot to him. And we plan to visit on his birthday.

About us: We're together 6.5 years, living together for almost 5. We've been through all the usual couple stuff together: Family death, family illness, travelling, unemployment, sickness, bad employment, struggles through university, and when one of us has needed support the other has always been there, no questions asked.

So I want to grow old with him. I want to propose. I want it to be meaningful. I want it to be in Cambodia. But I don't want to be grand, or OTT, or dare I say it - culturally offensive. I know people have proposed in AW before - is it any different for a woman there? Am I overthinking!

I also would like to visit Preah Vihear - but as this place is rooted in such territorial history, and I understand guards are on duty? Is it wise to attempt such a grand gesture here?
"

Think she's for real? Her boyfriend is spiritually connected to Angkor Wat yet he's never been?

And she's going to propose to HIM?

I know it's 2016, but if he wanted to marry here, she'd know. I'd be embarrassed for life if every time someone asked us how did I propose I'd have to say, "actually, she proposed to me..."

Maybe he's Khmerican or something. That's the only reason I can think he feels connected to the place without ever visiting.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Girlfriend Wants to Travel to Cambodia and Propose to Her Boyfriend There (Reddit)

Post by Username Taken »

I know women are allowed to propose on a leap year, but isn't it confined to just the 29th of February? (One chance every 4 years).
CJM555
Expatriate

Re: Girlfriend Wants to Travel to Cambodia and Propose to Her Boyfriend at Preah Vihear (Reddit)

Post by CJM555 »

Yeah, always always always stick to the story you are defo visiting Cambodia to go to Angkor Wat.
"Nope, don't know anything about this 104,136 talk you speak. Pontoon Wat ?"

I really don't mean to derail this thread but that is Isla Fisher in the Stage Five Clinger clip.
The following is a cwacking interview with Sacha Baron Cohen about the new film Grimsby.
Look out for Ali G ;)

SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Girlfriend Wants to Travel to Cambodia and Propose to Her Boyfriend at Preah Vihear (Reddit)

Post by SinnSisamouth »

aside from the fact the whole cringeworthy episode is posted on facebook its not a traditional wedding/romantic venue!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

She should stick to Angkor Wat so there's less explaining where she got engaged to idiots back home. Though there is a certain romance to the smell of ganja being smoked by the border guards at Preah Vihear until they start (as I witnessed) trying to juggle their guns... and then dropping them all over the place. 50-50 if they know where the safety is to have put it on in the first place.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic