Unexploded bombs continue to kill and mame in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Unexploded bombs continue to kill and mame in Cambodia

Post by Rutiger »

The B40 was a Soviet-made precurser to the ubiquitous modern rocket propelled grenade (RPG). 2 deaths and 2 injuries so far this year (1.5 months) in this district alone from old unexploded ordinace (UXO).
UXO death Boy killed by exploding B-40 rocket
Mon, 22 February 2016
Kim Sarom
A 12-year-old boy died on Saturday after an unexploded B-40 rocket he was playing with detonated on a farm in Ampil village, in Battambang province’s Bavel district, authorities said yesterday.

The boy is the fourth victim – with two deaths and two injuries – of unexploded ordnance from January to mid-February in Bavel district, according to Horm Chantha, Battambang provincial mine coordinator.

The boy was hit with debris in the face and chest after striking the B-40 rocket with a rock, prompting it to explode and causing his instant death, Chantha said.

Touch Chanarith, Bavel district police chief, identified the boy as Theang Dear.

Before the incident happened at 10:30am, a villager was ploughing a rice field when the ordnance was unearthed. The villager picked it up and left it on the dike, Chanarith said.

The young boy had spotted the shell there and begun hitting it with a stone, he continued, adding that villagers had seen the boy striking an object, but had no idea what it was until the blast.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/u ... -40-rocket
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Unexploded bombs continue to kill and mame in Cambodia

Post by Rutiger »

Here's another case from today. Crappy translation via goolge.
Man pulling cassava Border stepping on a land mine injuries
By: Nop

Monday, February 22, 2016 23:45 pm (22-02-2016 23:45)
Province: A man pulling cassava walk to collect firewood distance from Route 58 border belt stepping on a land mine injuries mine accident occurred at 8 and 30 am on 22 February 2016 near the Thai border village of stone umbrella commune ground turmeric district Province. Major slaunh Chek district police chief, said: victim Moen male The 46-year-old was born in the village of Kom 1 Tuol Ta Ek commune / province currently stay in barracks area development army garrison 5 Mount umbrella workers pulling cassava.

Inspector said: sources he received before the incident, the victim went to collect firewood in North Port dead horses, about 500 meters west and 58 border belt 800m landmines left in war caused the explosion injured left hand throughout the torso and head, the weight of the victims were transported to hospital Friendly Cambodia - Japan.

Relating to mine accidents when reporters asked details about geography and done hereafter Post Kouk turmeric unknown at all by claiming that geography rock umbrella Chek district was caused by Inspector Major Uk Sopha lack the skills and work recently led the children did not recognize its geographic responsibility by the population in the village chronicles Okvau set bail Chek, this turns the Post did not learn anything at all about its base. according to General deputy Commissioner of Labour border said: dead horse port is located in the annals Kouk turmeric district.
https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/140301.html
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i was last up in Phonsavan Laos ( sept 2014) they are recording 4-5 UXO explosions/week still in the area.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

phuketrichard wrote:when i was last up in Phonsavan Laos ( sept 2014) they are recording 4-5 UXO explosions/week still in the area.
They should use mine detector rats
TRACH, Cambodia - It's been a busy morning for Cletus, Meynard, Victoria and others of their furry band. Tiny noses and long whiskers twitching, they've scurried and sniffed their way across 8,300 square feet of fields to eliminate a scourge that has killed thousands of Cambodians: land mines.

Meet the Hero Rats: intelligent, surprisingly adorable creatures with some of the most sensitive noses in the animal kingdom. Sent from Africa, where they successfully cleared minefields in Mozambique and Angola, they began the same task in northwestern Cambodia early this month and have already scored tangible results.

Two hectares (4.4 acres) have been declared mine-free around this village where more than 15 people have been killed or wounded by the explosives, forcing some to abandon their homes and rice fields and seek jobs elsewhere.

One villager, Khun Mao, says the rats have been sniffing for suspected mines in a rice field he had been afraid to cultivate for years. He says that while it is too soon to say whether the rodents can remove every mine, "To me, these rats are wonderful."

"The villagers have started to get excited about farming their land again. You can see the light in their faces," says Paul McCarthy, Cambodia program manager for the Belgian nonprofit organization APOPO, or Anti-Personnel Land Mines Detection Product in English.

On a recent morning, the African giant pouched rats were working two suspected, taped-off minefields. Each rodent wore a harness connected to a rope strung out in a straight line between two handlers standing about 5 meters (15 feet) apart and outside the danger zone. The rodents then darted from one handler to the other, constantly sniffing the ground and only taking time out to scrub their bodies with tiny front paws or to answer nature's call. The handlers moved a step or two down the field to repeat the process, and a second rat was later sent over the same terrain to double check.

Two-year-old Victoria proved particularly swift - "very active," one team member calls her. She stars in APOPO's "adopt-a-rat" fund-raising drive.

At the second field, Merry and Meynard were completing three hours of effort as a midday sun beat down on the parched earth. The duo had earlier nosed in on an explosive, halting just above it and scratching the ground - the learned response when a rodent detects TNT inside a land mine. A deminer with a detector followed and the mine was dug up and detonated.

Unlike standard mine detectors, the super-sniffers pick up only TNT and not other metal objects. And unlike wage-earning humans, the rats work for peanuts - and their other favorite, bananas.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hero-rats-s ... and-mines/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote:when i was last up in Phonsavan Laos ( sept 2014) they are recording 4-5 UXO explosions/week still in the area.
i was up in phonsavan in feb 2013 and there were still large areas that still hadnt been checked and we even came across an unexploded "bombie"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Translation via google.
Logging into the forest floor houses mine explosion killed dismal

By: Sem Sokunny,

Monday, 29 February 2016 17:06 (29-02-2016 17:06)

Pursat province: One man was killed instantly at the scene while logging into the woods to make Random House senior guide landmines buried in the ground war caused the explosion at about 2 and 15 pm February 28, 2016 in the village commune Veal card Cardamom.

Captain Chan Sokha, commander of the local gendarmerie told Cardamom island said the victim named Heng, 58, a farmer living in the village commune scene earlier in the day of the accident victims had gone into the woods to cut wood to build housing away from home about 10 kilometers. When walking anticipate trees suddenly accidentally overwrite mines caused the outbreak earthquake killed instantly suddenly. After the scene, the bodies of the victims were residents together to give families preparing to celebrate the traditions .

Chan Sokha said that landmines pose a danger to people above a mine buried in the ground last session war during the decades of 80 and 90 in the region as the battle between the army Rouge with Cambodian troops . He said that in the Cardamom side card commune and hamlet ntre rich mines and ammunition aesthetics unexploded bombs buried in the ground, leaving many wartime far this guide has not yet been cleared, that requires you to dig earth farmer always be careful.
https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/140631.html
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Rutiger wrote: They should use mine detector rats
Bullshit and don’t believe the hype.

Demining rats do not work in a real sense. I worked with them in Mozambique and can tell you first hand that whilst its a great idea, it doesn't actually work.

Don't get me wrong, the rats are clever little bastards and yes in theory it works as their senses can detect ERM and UXO. But add in wind, rain, sun, vegetation, the fact you need 2 men to operate 1 rat, animal and human mistakes, false negatives, and the close proximity of the handlers, this all work against them.

After many many tests the summary by the formal demining agencies, such as MAG and HALO is that yes in theory, but not in reality.

But its a great story, brings media attention and importantly donor funds into the sector, so its therefore tolerated.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

38 more removed, that only leaves several million to go. :thumb:
Deminers dig out 38 UXO in Battambang
Thu, 3 March 2016
Vong Sokheng
Authorities have recovered some 38 pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) from the site of a former government military base in Battambang province, police said yesterday.

Five of the Russian-made UXO were detected in Bakprea village, in Prey Chas commune, on February 24, according to Ek Phnom district police chief Long Yutheavireak.

After being alerted to the presence of the explosives, police officers were deployed to monitor the site and set up signs warning locals of mine danger while experts cleared the area up through Tuesday.

“We worked with officials from the Cambodian Mine Action Centre [CMAC] in searching the site and we found 38 different unexploded ordnance,” Yutheavireak said.

Yutheavireak’s deputy, Suon Sameth, said that the haul of mortar shells, land mines and hand grenades had been used by Vietnamese-backed government troops during the 1980s, and that the area was a front line in the battle against Khmer Rouge soldiers.

CMAC official Pring Panharith said he had not yet received a final report confirming how many UXO had been found, but said some 15,000 were collected from Battambang province last year alone.

According to government figures, Battambang had the highest number of mine casualties for the Kingdom in both 2014 and 2015 – for a combined total of 68 killed or injured – more than double that of neighbouring Pailin, which had the next-highest rate.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/d ... battambang
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Battambang Soldier Killed by Anti-Tank Mine

BY BUTH KIMSAY | MARCH 5, 2016

A soldier bled to death in Battambang province Thursday after driving over an old anti-tank mine in a tractor while clearing a parcel of land for a local cassava farmer, police said.

Long Sochet, a 34-year-old member of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) Battalion 525 in Samlot district, took the job clearing the overgrown plot to make some extra money and ran over the mine at about 3 p.m., according to Sung commune police chief Hun Vath.

“The victim was plowing land that had never been farmed before,” Mr. Vath said, adding that the explosion blew off the soldier’s right arm and severely injured his legs, torso and lower face.

He said the soldier was rushed to the battalion’s headquarters in an RCAF ambulance, but that a medic at the base was unable to resuscitate him.

“The RCAF nurse could not save the victim because he was too seriously injured.”

Samlot district, in the country’s far west, was the site of intense fighting between Khmer Rouge and Vietnamese forces in the 1980s, and was heavily mined.

Landmines and other unexploded ordnance killed or injured 111 people last year, according to the Cambodian Mine Action Authority, down from 154 people in 2014.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/batt ... ne-109492/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic