"Unrelated to my Faith?" Say What?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Re: "Unrelated to my Faith?" Say What?

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

StroppyChops wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:Are you an active missionary, Stroppy?

Probably a bit hard to define, but I hope you know what I mean.
Finally - a sensible question. Thanks Tim!

We're in Cambodia as commissioned (that is, a Church of Christ congregation has 'sent us out' under their name/letterhead) missionaries, but our sole goal here is to provide free education (I'm a Professor of Education (Languages)
Sound reasonable.

But what is a professor of education? You were invited to take up a professorship by a university after being a lecturer for a few years first and having the requisite number of research papers published? I guess it is the same process in Australia.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote: - no religious strings, no Christian overtures, nada. Just free education to those that can't afford it.
WooHoo! I was hoping this would come out! Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:The "good guy" passive role yet again...old pose, Brother. Reread the posts - there are a number of other posters who agree with my arguments and then, of course, the "flock" of other Christians rising to defend your stance.
I'm starting to realise you're delusional. You've made a lot of references to 'many others' who think as you do. Are those many others just the voices in your head? What you've written on the thread really doesn't seem to be same as how you think it is, but carry on.

Also, have a close look at my avatar. That's a recent photo. Do you honestly believe I'd be passive about anything?
You never actually address any direct questions about "missionary work" - that's your dominate strategy...again, in person, you're probably a "nice guy" and that's your affect/style in converting others. That doesn't make it right.
Actually I answer every direct question about being a missionary - what I can't be bothered with responding to is half-arsed accusations tossed out into the ether by muppets such as yourself. Why on earth would I waste my time dancing to your tune, given the posts you've made in this thread? I'm a great guy - but would you like my company? Probably not, because you drag that chip around on your shoulder like a badge of honour and think you're the White Knight of the Khmer, and wouldn't be able to stop yourself from mouthing off and spoiling drinking time for everyone else.
And, yes, I hate what you are doing - not necessarily you as a person. You've been hoodwinked by a dodgy belief system that demands proselytizing and, for some personal reason, you feel the need exercise power over others who are inferior in education and resources. I'm not going to change you, of course, but maybe, just maybe, if enough people like me attempt to expose your nefarious activities then it will result in a groundswell of resistance. It's a battle zone for souls after all, right? That's the only reason you're here...
How would you know, brother? Genuinely now, and very seriously, how would you know what I'm in this country for? Have you met me? You've certainly made a lot of very personal comments about me that those that know me in Cambodia would disagree with. But don't let your stupidity and intolerance slow you down - I truly appreciate the opportunities you give me to speak about my faith.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:Are you an active missionary, Stroppy?

Probably a bit hard to define, but I hope you know what I mean.
Finally - a sensible question. Thanks Tim!

We're in Cambodia as commissioned (that is, a Church of Christ congregation has 'sent us out' under their name/letterhead) missionaries, but our sole goal here is to provide free education (I'm a Professor of Education (Languages), Mrs Stroppy has multiple diplomas in business process, HR, etc) - no religious strings, no Christian overtures, nada. Just free education to those that can't afford it. The mouth-foamers won't be able to accept that, because they can't conceive of doing good for others just out of humanity - much easier to sit behind a beer and lob grenades from the relative anonymity of the Internet. But do we truly care what those expats think of our motivation and purpose for being here. Honestly, not in the least.

To get religious for just a moment, Christ gave us two new commandments - a) to go out into the whole world and preach His gospel, and b) to be good to others, especially those who have it harder than us, in the same way that He would be if He were physically here. The local churches have the first point sewn up in spades - the uptake of Christianity through indigenous churches is phenomenal here, they don't need us to either tell them their business or get involved. Like the kid who gave his lunch and in turn fed the masses, we bring what we have (education) to those that don't have it and can't get it unless someone empowers them to change their circumstances.

After teaching in Australia for 20 years, and being rewarded with a nice little redundancy payout from the government, I have the opportunity to do what I want for a change (see? a selfish motivation!) and get back to teaching people who want to learn.

Honestly, thanks for the question - I bet you already suspected that was my answer?
Finally. The 1st and only honest and revealing post from Stroppy. Thanks you for that. The rest of your posting was pure obfuscation and "house of mirrors" technique.

"a) to go out into the whole world and preach His gospel" and you are freed from this major requirement? You're lying here. No true Christian is excused from this allotted core task. Ever. At any time and you know it. This "strategy" of declaring no intent of overt conversion is an old and tired trick - it has been exposed innumerable times.

The following post is just one example of this wholesale Christian deception/fraud:

THE INSIDIOUS WORK OF CHRISTIAN SWINDLERS

A young Australian couple with 2 kids, aged 3 1/2 and 4 1/2, have limited funds and after searching PP for the best value preschools decided to put their wee ones in a modestly priced "Christian" run school. These good friends of mine were guaranteed that their children would not be heavily indoctrinated with fundamentalist Christian values by the teachers. They were assured that they were "open-minded" and tolerant in their approach to teaching core human values, etc. In other words, "Christian Light'. Since my friends had few other options and the school came highly recommended they led their progeny through the door. The couple is what might be called "spiritual agnostic" with little enthusiasm for institutional religions and fear-based doctrine.

All went swimmingly for a few weeks until the older girl came home and talking excitedly about the fires of hell and damnation and was clearly frightened by the classroom lesson that day. She was describing dancing and spitting devils and how afraid that she was going to go way below the earth burning for her sins. That night she started having regular nightmares and wetting her bed for the first time.

Needless to say they pulled the kids from the school immediately and demanded to know why the school principal had lied to them. He casually replied, "We only teach the truth here and there are serious consequences for non-believers. It's best for young children to learn this as early as possible. It appears to work from our experience."

My friends felt that the principal was so blinded by his unwavering faith in the "Brimstone and Fire" approach that there was nothing further to say. They left feeling deceived and angry that their eldest had been so upset by the teaching of such horrific imagery that was directly tied to her allegedly potential "non-believing" behaviour - at only 4 1/2 years old.

What right do (overwhelmingly) white Christian fundamentalist missionaries have to invade impoverished countries to "seduce" people, with few resources (mostly poor natives of course), to adopt their belief system and way of life? Obviously in the case above my friends were fully equipped to make an informed decision but what about poverty stricken Khmers? If this educated couple was tricked so easily then these so-called "compassionate missionaries" certainly can entice others without a high level of discernment. These people should be run out of town - with red hot pokers up their bums.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:But what is a professor of education? You were invited to take up a professorship by a university after being a lecturer for a few years first and having the requisite number of research papers published? I guess it is the same process in Australia.
Actually that's a very good question, and as I'm not working professionally for six months while I learn Khmer, I shouldn't be using the title. I have a Master of Education (TESOL) and a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (etc.) and was a tenured college professor in Australia. I gave up tenure for the payout, however as Cambodians equate 'college lecturer' with Professor, I've continued to use the title. On anything formal, I just include my post-nominals rather than a title.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:The following post is just one example of this wholesale Christian deception/fraud:
THE INSIDIOUS WORK OF CHRISTIAN SWINDLERS.
What you forgot to mention is that this is YOUR post on K440 - and you want to talk about fraud?

[Khmer440 link removed]

Edit: incidentally, you want to know why you're wrong? Because I'm following that Great Commission (to tell everybody) right here, as often as you give me the opportunity to do so. I don't need to preach to a disadvantaged people group because I don't understand what it is like to be them - but I can certainly relate to you, brother... and here I am. Bless you mate.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

http://www.reveal.org/library/legal/wor ... _pros.html

http://culteducation.com/group/983-inte ... alies.html

"Originally, I was surprised that the Boston Church of Christ--infamous for its aggressive and manipulative brand of proselytizing--was still actively searching for converts on campus."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1988/ ... ents-here/
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ and I can find as many links as you like to support what I believe too - what's your point, or is your bile running low?
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

Well Strops, I don't have much time for evangelists of any creed, but what you are doing sounds fine to me.

I have a mad uncle who does the same thing in Yemen (scary as fuck I should think) and he mostly just educates people about food hygiene, child health and the digging of good latrines that are not next door to the kitchen out in the villages.

So good luck to you.

(BTW, a quietly Catholic friend of mine complains about the shit she gets from secular evangelists, so it's not just the religious peeps.)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Tim Linkinwater wrote:Well Strops, I don't have much time for evangelists of any creed, but what you are doing sounds fine to me.

I have a mad uncle who does the same thing in Yemen (scary as fuck I should think) and he mostly just educates people about food hygiene, child health and the digging of good latrines that are not next door to the kitchen out in the villages.

So good luck to you.

(BTW, a quietly Catholic friend of mine complains about the shit she gets from secular evangelists, so it's not just the religious peeps.)
Thanks Tim. I haven't had too many people (none, actually) have a problem with what we're doing here when they know us personally. I also bring some medical training and will be joining clinic runs into the provinces, that sort of thing. "Secular evangelists" - love that, haven't heard it before, sounds like "militant atheist" to me! Takes all types...

Edit: What the hell is he doing in Yemen? That's hardcore!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic