The frail line between life and death in Pattaya

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: The frail line between life and death in Pattaya

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SinnSisamouth wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:why would a poor person commit suicide?

seems an odd comparison
what about short people or disabled are they more lonley to top themselves?
Certainly the suicide rate of disabled people is higher than the societal norm. Short people - there's a lack of data on.
maybe because no one cares (kidding)

did not know about disabled people but I am sure poor people are generally the happiest without the consumerism or "keeping up with the jonses" attitude that infests the western world

i have always believed that people are born with suicidal tendencies and it just depends on what when that "final straw" is triggered

but that does not really explain why some countries have much higher suicide rates than others , usa 12 per year guyana 42...
maybe it's a genetic thing
There is zero evidence to show that poor people are happier in their lot. Those who live in genuine poverty are generally unhappy (as going without food, clothing, drink, adequate shelter, etc. is wont to do to a person) not happy. It's pure myth that those living outside of consumerism are happy - the truth is that if they knew how to get their feet in the door - 99% would do so.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

but then youve stated that poor people would be more likely to top themselves

Why?

because to your eyes they own nothing and struggle to eat?
some people want to survive , its human nature

to turn that desire off (suicide) is a chemical imbalance in the brain not because of economic circumstances or physical disability

if a disabled/poor person kills them self would you assume it was because of their life or because they were born to do it?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SinnSisamouth wrote:but then youve stated that poor people would be more likely to top themselves

Why?

because to your eyes they own nothing and struggle to eat?
some people want to survive , its human nature

to turn that desire off (suicide) is a chemical imbalance in the brain not because of economic circumstances or physical disability

if a disabled/poor person kills them self would you assume it was because of their life or because they were born to do it?
No, I stated I would be more likely to top myself if I were poor, which is completely different.

People end their lives because they are miserable. In general people are more miserable the less they have and the more challenges they face that others do not.

In fact not only is there a relationship between suicide and poverty - a lot of it depends on the wealth you witness in others. http://www.businessinsider.com/link-bet ... ve-2012-11

Just looked that up. And indeed this meta-analysis concludes that being poor is indeed a suicide risk and notes that those from higher-socio-economic groupings are at a reduced risk... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16420711
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I guess we (as in westerners) only see the famous (robin williams, that nirvana bloke) who decide to top themselves so have a skewed view of things.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SinnSisamouth wrote:I guess we (as in westerners) only see the famous (robin williams, that nirvana bloke) who decide to top themselves so have a skewed view of things.
I think that's a fair point. Plus suicide does exist in all social classes and it's more likely to be visible when it's someone famous unless it's someone close to us.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic