Rent ripoff

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Rent ripoff

Post by Duncan »

If you pay your rent by the month, do you expect to get 30 days or 31 days. Well the bad news is , this month of February, you are only getting 29 days. So if your rent is , say $300 pm , [ = $10 per day ] why are you paying for a days rent that you are not getting. And things are getting worse, watch out for February 2017.

Have a nice day.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Rent ripoff

Post by AE86 »

Better go to the NZ system where it's rent by the week.
-insert signature here
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote:If you pay your rent by the month, do you expect to get 30 days or 31 days. Well the bad news is , this month of February, you are only getting 29 days. So if your rent is , say $300 pm , [ = $10 per day ] why are you paying for a days rent that you are not getting. And things are getting worse, watch out for February 2017.

Have a nice day.
Same for visa stamps - Jan or Feb, same price - your visa expires on the following month on the date that is stamped. On the bright side, i guess that a 1 month visa stamped on Jan 31 will entitle you to stay until Feb 31 !
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote:If you pay your rent by the month, do you expect to get 30 days or 31 days. Well the bad news is , this month of February, you are only getting 29 days. So if your rent is , say $300 pm , [ = $10 per day ] why are you paying for a days rent that you are not getting. And things are getting worse, watch out for February 2017.
I think the idea is that it is per calendar month. Not sure what it was like before the foreigners came in droves. I know that Cambodians don't generally pay deposits for rooms they rent.
At least the per cal month bit is the same as back home. Have you noticed how they twist the bread ties the other way round here as well?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote:
I think the idea is that it is per calendar month. Not sure what it was like before the foreigners came in droves. I know that Cambodians don't generally pay deposits for rooms they rent.
At least the per cal month bit is the same as back home.

Have you noticed how they twist the bread ties the other way round here as well?

I have never been able to figure that out, so I always open it from the other end.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Duncan wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

Have you noticed how they twist the bread ties the other way round here as well?

I have never been able to figure that out, so I always open it from the other end.
How are you getting on with the elastic bands?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Duncan wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

How are you getting on with the elastic bands?
Use plenty of butter and vegemite and they taste ok.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Look at the bright side, it's one less day of living expenses till you die.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Raybull wrote:Look at the bright side, it's one less day of living till you die.
FTFY. :beer1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic