Acacia farming in Vietnam

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Acacia farming in Vietnam

Post by Rutiger »

I woner if acacia farming is popular in Cambodia yet? You do need quite a bit of patience before you see any kind of income.
Acacia forests a big earner in Quang Nam

QUANG NAM (VNS) — Vo Van Vinh, a farmer in Dai Nghia Commune in the central Quang Nam Province's Dai Loc District, can earn VND400 million (US$18,000) from his 10ha farm of acacia every five years.

It's quite a good income and easy for him and family in comparison to rice farming or raising livestock.

Acacia farms have helped over 293 households in the commune earn a living and provided 40 per cent share of the annual budget.

However, a five-year-old acacia harvest is only used as material for paper production (pulpwood) – with the price half as much as eight-year-old acacia farms.

"I could double my income from my log farm if I extend harvest time to two more years. Eight-year-old acacia farms could sell at a higher price – 1.5 times more than the harvest of five-year-old acacia," Vinh said.

He said acacia harvested longer can be used for furniture production for export with better wood quality and prices ranging from VND1.7million ($76) to VND2 million per tonne," Vinh said, adding that wood for paper production costs only VND1 million.

"We often log after four or five years in avoiding risks from storm that often occur every five years in the central region. Loan deficiency from banks and package purchasing guarantees given by furniture producers are also the main reason that we have to log earlier," Vinh explained.

Vinh said he would log his acacia farms after five or eight years if he receives a prolonged commitment from furniture producers to buy logs and initial funding.

Rare farmers and timber processing businesses are able to reach international standards and regulations including timber quality, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, original certification on legal logging and land-use rights.

Meanwhile, FSC-certified logs have been increasing in Viet Nam due to demand of FSC certification in Europe – a major export market of Viet Nam.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Re: Acacia farming in Vietnam

Post by ot mien kampf »

If you can somehow finance 5 years with limited income, plus expenses, and then hope there isn't a typhoon or fire that wipes out the crop so your creditors break your knees.
gavinbrisbane
Expatriate

Re: Acacia farming in Vietnam

Post by gavinbrisbane »

My old man tried growing similar timber in Korat, Far NE Thailand.

We had quite a few Rai, many of the locals got to it and cut most of the trees to nothing after 5 years or so, to build(?) ---- whatever it was they were building(?) ... huts/houses(?) -- no one would admit to it.....

Huge investment down the drain, obviously when we went up there, there was nothing of any value left; even by having my Thai stepmothers' family as 'caretakers'. Property is still there, just poisoned, can't grow anything there now..... worthless....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic