Borrowed words

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Borrowed words

Post by flying chicken »

Wait!! Let me it this one right. So basically all of you are saying names days of week came from French?
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Plenty of people called Chan and Sok.

You could try looking towards the planets. ;)
The word Chan itself existed long before the French colonization.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Sok means living in peace...if the word is borrowed in French too, then I am confused.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

flying chicken wrote:Wait!! Let me it this one right. So basically all of you are saying names days of week came from French?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

We're just saying some given names come from French:
Lundy is a Khmerization of Lundi (which means Monday in French). Marady (mardi, Tuesday), Jeudy (Jeudi/Thursday), Diamong/Diamond (diamant=diamond) and so on... I'm pretty sure I also recall a few French adjectives being used as names. It's the same as naming your kid Chan or Makara, but using the French word instead because it sounds special/a bit different.

I also said a lot of words were borrowed from French:
tou-ne-vii=tournevis (screw driver), tu-yo-(teuk)=tuyau (pipe) etc.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Thanks for the boring JPEG image. Are you seriously saying that days of the week came from the French word. Their colonization were just a few centuries, this aint no Vietnamese where characters are used. Khmer civilization exist long before the Angkor period, so what names day of the week did they use then?
Last edited by flying chicken on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

See above. Jesus are you that dense? We're not saying Chan, ongkieh etc are French words... Did you fail second grade or something?
Lundy is a Khmerization of Lundi (which means Monday in French). Marady (mardi, Tuesday), Jeudy (Jeudi/Thursday), Diamong/Diamond (diamant=diamond) and so on... I'm pretty sure I also recall a few French adjectives being used as names. It's the same as naming your kid Chan or Makara, but using the French word instead because it sounds special/a bit different.

flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

And did you even read my final question above?.......Before the colonization.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:See above. Jesus are you that dense? We're not saying Chan, ongkieh etc are French words... Did you fail second grade or something?

My older sister's names Longdi follows by Rithy and Sophak. By your impeccable logic those names come from France too.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

flying chicken wrote:And did you even read my final question above?.......Before the colonization.
I saw it, but:
1. I'm not a Khmer language scholar. The language was likely quite different from modern Khmer.
2. While certainly interesting to know, I failed to see the relevance of that question with the issue at hand (your confusion about some words having French origins).
flying chicken wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:See above. Jesus are you that dense? We're not saying Chan, ongkieh etc are French words... Did you fail second grade or something?

My older sister's names Longdi follows by Rithy and Sophak. By your impeccable logic those names come from France too.
I don't think it's my logic that has a problem, but your comprehension skills... Where did you see myself of Joon say that ALL khmer given names come from French?! That's obviously ridiculous. Rithy and Sopheak certainly don't have French origins (they even have meanings in Khmer).

What we said is that SOME names have French origins. Ask anyone called Diamond what their name means and they'll tell you it's French for diamond. So their parents could have given them the traditional Khmer name Pich, but instead chose Diamond/g because they like the ring it has or whatever. That's all... Not sure why you're talking about pre-colonial days of the week and assuming all given names are French or something...
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic