Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2777
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 679
New Zealand

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:17 pm

TheGrinchSR wrote: I'd love to know where the whole 25 in a pack thing came from - it's true in Australia too but pretty much everywhere else in the world it's 20 in pack.
Australia sold 30/40/50 packs when I was living there as well as 20/25 packs.

20 packs are perfect pocket size imo.
User avatar
Digg3r
Expatriate
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 8:55 pm
Reputation: 57
Korea North

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by Digg3r » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:06 am

I think cigarettes wont be available in Australia within about a decade.

They'll be completely priced out of the market and then banned completely.

Alcohol will be next. Already we are seeing lock out laws being enacted across the country. Australia's meat famous night time strip "the kings cross" in Sydney has business decimated with more to follow.

As for phones, mobile rates are becoming quite good. MVNOs like amaysim and boost have changed the market in Australia bringing the price from the majors down too to compete.

With a little bit of planning and effort you can get around 3g/month and unlimited calls etc for less than $10 on Telstra/Optus 4g. Vodafone I'd still best avoided unless you live in (and never travel out of) a cbd.
bkktrapper
Expatriate
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:03 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: the ceiling

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by bkktrapper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 am

Digg3r wrote:I think cigarettes wont be available in Australia within about a decade.

They'll be completely priced out of the market and then banned completely.

Alcohol will be next. Already we are seeing lock out laws being enacted across the country. Australia's meat famous night time strip "the kings cross" in Sydney has business decimated with more to follow.

As for phones, mobile rates are becoming quite good. MVNOs like amaysim and boost have changed the market in Australia bringing the price from the majors down too to compete.

With a little bit of planning and effort you can get around 3g/month and unlimited calls etc for less than $10 on Telstra/Optus 4g. Vodafone I'd still best avoided unless you live in (and never travel out of) a cbd.
Funny how Aussie sims are cheaper than cambo Sims at approx 1.4 $ USD average for a pre paid.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 2777
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 679
New Zealand

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:33 am

^ Cellcard and Smart give free Sim cards in Cambodia, pretty certain the other companies do also.
Rutiger
Expatriate
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:29 am
Reputation: 3

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by Rutiger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:41 am

I can't imagine any modern western country would try to ban alcohol again. It was tried in the US for years and what a disaster. Prohibition of alcohol brought organized crime to a whole new level. It made violent criminals and smugglers rich and famous. Governments will continue to sin-tax the bejesus out of such things, but they won't criminalize ciggies and booze. Too much money to be made.
Last edited by Rutiger on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bkktrapper
Expatriate
Posts: 528
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:03 pm
Reputation: 0
Location: the ceiling

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by bkktrapper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:16 am

Rutiger wrote:I can't imagine any modern western country would try to ban alcohol again. It was tried in the US for years and what a disaster. Prohibition of alcohol brought organized crime to a whole new level. It made violent criminals and smugglers rich and famous. Governmetns will continiue to sin-tax the bejesus out of such things, but they won't criminalize ciggies and booze. Too much money to be made.
Poi pet border might profit from its 5 USD Marlboro cartons.
ceiling cat is watching you masterbate
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13715
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1910
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:22 am

in england you can get 10 packs of cigarettes as well lol
when in england my english sim i get 250minutes any network, free minutes to same network, unlimited text, 500mb data for about £6.50 per month, and i had unlimited data add on for £5 per month, total just shy of £12 per month rolling contract can cancel any time, its an old deal now which is more expensive now but i still get that price
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Posts: 4266
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 1:06 pm
Reputation: 462
Korea North

Re: RE: Re: Smokes in Thailand jump over 20%, beer next

Post by kiwiincambodia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:17 am

PSD-Kiwi wrote:^ Cellcard and Smart give free Sim cards in Cambodia, pretty certain the other companies do also.
Yeah most do give you a "free" SIM as long as you top up a certain amount.
Check out my website for all things Kiwi in Cambodia at https://tiny.cc/j410iy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests