GPS Tracking services in PP needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: GPS Tracking services in PP needed

Post by beaker »

kgbagent wrote:Well after some research I finally went here http://www.khmer-gps.com/en/

Map here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Khmer ... d?hl=en-US

For $70 I got the K5 installed very well by a guy with good English in about 40 mins

The website and app work very well and so far it works a treat - even the vibration alert. Only ongoing cost is topping up the sim card for sending text messages. Remote ignition locking works well.

Recommended
Looks like you can see it on a map by phone so could you use it to find your way home or a perticular location? Looks like you can depending on how often sms is sent ? If it only had bluetooth then could be sent to phone as you drive.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Some screenshots:

Web Site

Phone App

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I don't know how relevant this is, but...

I'll tell you about one of the few times I lost a bet.

I was telling someone at Garage Bar how good the GPS was on my Samsung Note 2 in Cambodia.

They laughed and said it wasn't using "true GPS."

I argued that it was clearly using GPS, as that's what I had LOCATION set to.

They took out my SIM, forced closed my Google Maps and deleted the cache.

I booted it up, opened Maps, and low and behold, it was as inaccurate as I've ever seen it. I walked around the block (exercise done for the month) and it was just jumping all over.

I think he proved his point that even when your phone is supposedly using "GPS," it's really using some sort of assisted GPS.

(I might be wrong about this part, but I think we tested the GPS with the SIM card in the phone connected to cell towers but with "data" turned off and it was still much better than if it had no SIM card in it at all.)

Either way, I realised the true GPS in my phone sucked and it was clearly getting help from the cell network somehow.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Maybe you could check with the Cambodian Space Project how many satellites they have in orbit.
Virajoe
Tourist

Re: RE: Re: GPS Tracking services in PP needed

Post by Virajoe »

kgbagent wrote:Well after some research I finally went here http://www.khmer-gps.com/en/

Map here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Khmer ... d?hl=en-US

For $70 I got the K5 installed very well by a guy with good English in about 40 mins

The website and app work very well and so far it works a treat - even the vibration alert. Only ongoing cost is topping up the sim card for sending text messages. Remote ignition locking works well.

Recommended
Yup, can testify to that. Very happy with both their service, the device and the tracking platform. Unfortunately I went too late in the afternoon and had to go to the GPS shop across mike's burger on Russian Boulevard.

Warning: do not get one from the shop across mike's burger. The device and platform is utter shit. It's about useless as a theft "insurance", and it's even working pretty bad as a trip playback.

Go for Khmer GPS on norodom
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic