8 rescued as boat sinks in sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

8 rescued as boat sinks in sihanoukville

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Eight rescued as boat sinks off Sihanoukville
Tue, 9 February 2016
Mech Dara
Police, navy and civilian vessels sped to the rescue of eight people stranded 18 kilometres off the coast of Sihanoukville yesterday morning after the speedboat in which they were travelling to Koh Rong was sunk by rough seas.

“We safely rescued eight people, including two Cambodian crew and six Vietnamese passengers,” Preah Sihanouk provincial police chief Choun Narin said, adding that his officers were aided in the rescue by the navy and “other big boats”.

Narin said he had cautioned Preah Sihanouk mariners not to venture out to sea yesterday, but his warnings went unheeded.

An employee at TBC Speedboat, who asked not to be named as they were not authorised to speak to the press, yesterday confirmed the boat belonged to his company and that “all six passengers are safe and have been staying in our office”.

But they denied any warnings had been issued by police regarding sea conditions.

“The police did not inform or ban us from taking to sea.”

The Preah Sihanouk coastline is no stranger to sunken ships. In April 2011, five Khmer crew and 87 drunken foreigners were rescued by Sihanoukville fishermen after reportedly dancing their party boat into a watery grave.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/e ... anoukville
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: 8 rescued as boat sinks in sihanoukville

Post by Fourkinnel »

Yeah I remember the 2011 incident. JJ's overloaded a converted fishing boat designed for about 30 people max. Got greedy and took on 87. Then blamed it on the long nosed Barang. The cheeky bastards, I've never been in JJ's since, only luck that no one perished!

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/e ... sinks-boat
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Buy your own life jacket before boarding any boat in the KOW
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I got the 9:00am Speed Ferry over to Koh Rong on Sat 6 Feb, the 1st passengers started throwing up about 20mins into the trip when we hit the big waves, I estimated about 35-40% of passengers were being sick by the time we got to Koh Rong.

A very unpleasant experience.

At the pier, there was no hint of rough seas or any wind at all, obviously very sheltered there. I get the impression the seas have been very bad ever since all week
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Safety rules on boats to be enforced. Lessons have been learnt ? :popcorn:
After a boat capsized and sank off Sihanoukville last week, ferry company managers say local police have begun strictly enforcing safety regulations and rough weather warnings, in a dramatic shift from the city’s relaxed attitude toward boat safety...

It isn’t just the rough weather warnings that are being more strictly enforced – police are also checking that boats are seaworthy :thumb: and properly equipped with life jackets, said the Speed Ferry general manager. Life jackets have not always been standard on passenger transports – photos taken last year show passengers tightly packed aboard a Sihanoukville ferry navigating choppy seas without any life jackets...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21426
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I got the Speed Ferry back over to Koh Rong on Sunday, 2 days ago.

The police were present at the pier and all passengers told to wear the life jackets provided, which we all did

On the return journey that afternoon, no mention at all of putting on life jackets, so it was the police enforcing this, rather than the Speed Ferry employees
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We were on the ferry two days ago- far out.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic