Trat, Thailand and African Grey's

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
mobileroadie
Tourist

Trat, Thailand and African Grey's

Post by mobileroadie »

Dear Friends, going to Trat weekend of the 19th... interested in buying an African Grey Parrot for a pet and am told that the closest place to PP to do that is a little border town called Trat, Thailand. This area is new to me and my first time hearing of it. Does anyone know an exact area to shop for them near the border or just inside of it and, is it easy to get back over the Cambodia border with one because I'm sure the sellers don't provide a bill of health? Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide worthwhile information because I'm sure I'll see my share of critics on here too. Cheers- :hattip:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Trat, Thailand and African Grey's

Post by hanno »

"Humans are by far the largest threat to wild African grey populations. Between 1994 and 2003, over 359,000 African grey parrots were traded on the international market. Mortality amongst imported birds is high.[5] As a result of the extensive harvest of wild birds, in addition to habitat loss, this species is believed to be undergoing a rapid decline in the wild and has therefore been rated as vulnerable by the IUCN.[1]"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Trat is about 200 kms inside Thailand from the Koh Kong/Had Lek border and i seriously doubt you will find a parrot there

why would you think a parrot that comes from equatorial Africa would be in provincial town in Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've heard they are sold quite cheaply in Trat. They are relatively easy to breed so it's quite possible they are captive bred, but then again they could have just arrived in a crate from Africa, with a majority dying on the way.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

If true i stand corrected, but i have been thru trat a few times ( was there last Nov)an wnet to the market an around town, never saw any parrots for sale so maybe u need a intro .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
welly wanger
Tourist
Palestine

Post by welly wanger »

You are able to get greys from a market in Trat, I dunno where as I've never been but they are there. You can also get greys or other large parrots from PP. If you have facebook do a search for parrot market, parrot's father store and there's also a parrot owners club as well some where on Facebook. The parrot market was selling a bonded pair of greys with eggs for 1700 dollars.
Also they have got a red pied grey imported from africa for 2000 dollars, this is a baby/young bird as the eyes are still all black. An adult eye will black pupil and a creamy grey outer.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

welly wanger wrote:Also they have got a red pied grey illegally traded from africa for 2000 dollars, this is a baby/young bird as the eyes are still all black. An adult eye will black pupil and a creamy grey outer.
FTFY.
welly wanger
Tourist
Palestine

Post by welly wanger »

As for breeding they are not that easy. The birds first need to be mature which starts around 5 years old. The hardest part is getting a male and a female as the only real way of knowing is getting the bird DNA tested. Then they need to bond with each other. Have a healthy diet and not just seed as this is a fatty diet.
welly wanger
Tourist
Palestine

Post by welly wanger »

Why is it illegally traded? From the picture it had a ring on it's left foot. This could be a closed ring which has to be put on the leg around 12 days old. Maybe once upon a time it's relatives was stolen from the wild, any how the birds you pick up in bars is also illegal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic