Moving to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jessy101
Expatriate

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Post by jessy101 »

Within the job that you want, you can't get high wages like American people.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I remember a Khmer American I knew many years back saying about the difficulties of being a Khmerican looking for a job.
The employers would want to know whether you considered yourself Khmer, American (barang), or returnee.
Wages would be determined by what you considered yourself to be.
chefung01
Tourist

Post by chefung01 »

I hear different. Some people tell me I can make close to what I make stateside, and the cost of living is a lot less. I'm talking about the resorts like nasa world or places like sofitel. They want western cooks
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

chefung01 wrote:I hear different. Some people tell me I can make close to what I make stateside, and the cost of living is a lot less. I'm talking about the resorts like nasa world or places like sofitel. They want western cooks

dream on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I fear you are being sorely misinformed old boy.
Are your informants actually here and employed at these rates you speak of, or did they hear it from a friend?
There are many urban legends in Long Beach and Lowell regarding Srok Khmer.

Undoubtedly though, some business people have done well importing ideas from outside.

Employment conditions are appalling here whatever one's heritage.
Burma is the better choice.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if i was 20 years younger and only had the $$ i had 20 years ago,
i'd be looking at Burma now
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote:if i was 20 years younger and only had the $$ i had 20 years ago,
Just as a matter of interest, what would you do there? Trade in gems?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote:
phuketrichard wrote:if i was 20 years younger and only had the $$ i had 20 years ago,
Just as a matter of interest, what would you do there? Trade in gems?

For starters yes, as i have done that for years and still have contacts and can do it on the side

but would also look into;
some sort of eco adventure program
GH is some out of the way place I( i know an American that set up a gh last year with his Burmese wife in Ye)
I have a friend in Mandalay that rents motorcycles and runs tours
Nice club/bar which there are none outside Yangon
Photo tours
River rafting
there are so many possibilities Depends on how much $$ you have but Myanmar will grow
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic