Needed - Camera lens (Canon or OM mount)

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
eshea
Tourist

Needed - Camera lens (Canon or OM mount)

Post by eshea »

Hi,

I'm in Cambodia for a few months shooting footage for an art project and I've just had my 18-55mm Tamron lens die on me. Looking for a replacement ASAP. Does anyone have anything for sale? Will consider anuthing at this point. Any leads on sellers that may do secondhand would also be appreciated. Im currently in Battambang but will be going to SR and PP soon.

Thanks
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Needed - Camera lens (Canon or OM mount)

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The 18-55mm OEM (Canon) lenses are the cheapest lenses you can buy (as they are included in every Canon kit as standard pretty much and no-one wants them) - you should be able to get a new one for about $100 in the camera shop on the corner of airport road and Wat Bo in Siem Reap... (assuming an EF-S mount)
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
eshea
Tourist

Post by eshea »

Thanks. May have to pick one of those up until I can get to Phnom Penh where I can get the Tamron replaced.

Anyone else have/know of anything then please get in touch
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Did you try and get it repaired?
eshea
Tourist

Post by eshea »

I haven't but only because I don't know where I would do that here. Any suggestions in SR or PP? I'm pretty sure it has a problem common to that particular lens. BB is a bit thin on the ground hen it come to camera shops...
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

There are numerous well stocked camera shops on Monivong Blvd, Phmom Penh, with globally competitive prices.
Nikon and Canon are both well represented,
https://www.google.com.kh/webhp?sourcei ... =0&tbm=lcl
eshea
Tourist

Post by eshea »

Thanks for that. Sabbay Nash can supply me with a new Tamron if necessary for a pretty reasonable price. Is used equipment that common in Cambodia.

Thanks all for replies so far
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

eshea wrote:Thanks for that. Sabbay Nash can supply me with a new Tamron if necessary for a pretty reasonable price. Is used equipment that common in Cambodia.

Thanks all for replies so far

There are two problems with used equipment in Cambodia:

1. It's most likely stolen - there are Canon dealers but they're not shifting volume and apart from OEM 18-55 or 18-135 lenses and the 50mm 1.8 - there are very few customers for serious kit here - but there are plenty of tourists sporting Canon kit who can be relieved of it

2. It often has fungus in the lens - it's hot, it's humid and most people run their A/C like it's the elixir of life. The perfect breeding conditions for fungus - for every 100 lenses sold maybe 1 dry cabinet gets sold. That's a ton of lenses out there that will not only be useless but will ruin your camera and your other lenses too - because mold gets everywhere.

It's not worth it. I'd only buy second hand kit from the small handful of pros in Cambodia who know how to take care of their camera kit. (And I have 2 canon cameras with a 3rd on its way and 10 Canon lenses with a Sigma 150-600mm arriving soon - you can't beat that lens for price and quality, it would cost about $12,000 to achieve the same thing, even if slightly better, on full frame with Canon).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Fungus does not seem to be such a huge problem anymore, haven't had an issue for 20 years.

In Siem Reap there is a very good shop on Sivutha Road next to Angkor Market; I had a Tamron lens fixed there last year.
eshea
Tourist

Post by eshea »

Hanno, Thank you! My wife is going to SR tomorrow. I'll maybe send it with her. How long did it take them out of interest and what was the cost?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic