“My Partner”

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by StroppyChops »

ali baba wrote:I think he was being polite. Like if you met someone with a N American accent and assumed they were American. A Canadian might find that offensive. Ditto Kiwis and Aussies.
Kiwis and Aussies definitely find it offensive if you assume they are American. Just sayin'.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

^ And so do Canucks!

Though I have American friends who I really like... strange how that works.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

StroppyChops wrote:
ali baba wrote:I think he was being polite. Like if you met someone with a N American accent and assumed they were American. A Canadian might find that offensive. Ditto Kiwis and Aussies.
Kiwis and Aussies definitely find it offensive if you assume they are American. Just sayin'.
What is someone assumes they have basic reading comprehension skills and can place words into a broader context?

Bro
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ali baba wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
What is someone assumes they have basic reading comprehension skills and can place words into a broader context?

Bro
Have I offended you there, ... 'bro'?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

What's the difference between a kangaroo and a wallaby: they are gay. Joking aside, well there is no joke...one eats the animal of their representative the other one dont. Their excuse? Because they aren't endangered yet!
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

StroppyChops wrote:Have I offended you there, ... 'bro'?
Excuse me but the correct term is 'mate'.
How very dare you!
Scarier than malaria.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I was watching ChannalnewsAsia 2 days ago....prior to the kick off they were chanting the Ozziie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi. When they got their ass kicked...when asked "how do you feel the Socceroo were performing?. the supporters were like...well, we are here for the experience. Hahaha.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
terrifiedanimal
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by terrifiedanimal »

I don't mind it when gays use the term partner, but I secretly feel a little bad for them for having to resort to such a poor description of their commitment to each other.

How about when long-term couples who have children and/or share major life-long commitments like owning a home together, refer to their spouse as their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend". The term is suitable for teenagers or casual dating, but to me, it sounds too frivolous for a committed couple who're raising kids or who have major, long-term commitments together.

I have a relative who has been living with the same man for 12 years and has two kids by him and refers to him as her boyfriend. Grow the fuck up! You didn't meet yesterday and you're way beyond dating, so let's use labels that hold a little context for a change.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

ali baba wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Have I offended you there, ... 'bro'?
Excuse me but the correct term is 'mate'.
How very dare you!
I say! I say!
Spoiler:
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

ali baba wrote:Like if you met someone with a N American accent and assumed they were American. A Canadian might find that offensive. Ditto Kiwis and Aussies.
When I meet someone with a North American accent I always assume they are Canadian, or at least that's what I say, because if you call an American a Canadian they just say 'no, I'm from the US' and the conversation moves on. But if you call a Canadian an American, they whine like little girls for 15 minutes then do another 30 minute tirade on how they are Americans (but not USanians) too.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic