British Expat Steven Bartlett Stranded in Cambodia for 6 Weeks After Barclays Closed his Bank Account

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: British Expat Steven Bartlett Stranded in Cambodia for 6 Weeks After Barclays Closed his Bank Account

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I was also closed my account by Barclays without warnings nor reason given.
Long story short in the 90's I needed a bank account in England. Upon enquiry at the local London suburbs Barclays branch, I was set up an account but in Jersey as not a UK resident (I never asked them for an offshore account btw).
I then happily used it for years and was very pleased with their service (efficient, 24h a day working hours, high interest rates, low costs etc).
A few years later, after selling my England home I had them transfer the monies to Cambodia to buy some real estate which I sold back a year and half later planning on wiring the money back to them.
They rejected my transfer order, didn't even look at the sale documents I sent them to explain things and closed my account the very next day.
The fuckers made me feel like I was into criminal money laundering.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: British Expat Steven Bartlett Stranded in Cambodia for 6 Weeks After Barclays Closed his Bank Account

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:I was also closed my account by Barclays without warnings nor reason given.
Long story short in the 90's I needed a bank account in England. Upon enquiry at the local London suburbs Barclays branch, I was set up an account but in Jersey as not a UK resident (I never asked them for an offshore account btw).
I then happily used it for years and was very pleased with their service (efficient, 24h a day working hours, high interest rates, low costs etc).
A few years later, after selling my England home I had them transfer the monies to Cambodia to buy some real estate which I sold back a year and half later planning on wiring the money back to them.
They rejected my transfer order, didn't even look at the sale documents I sent them to explain things and closed my account the very next day.
The fuckers made me feel like I was into criminal money laundering.
Moving money into Cambodia carries a high-risk of being flagged and suspected of money-laundering or other shady activity. I know several people (including me) who have had problems moving sums of cash into the country - you often get an unpleasant call from the intermediary bank demanding to know what you intend to do with the money... and the cost of the intermediary bank is near extortion. And I'm not talking millions of dollars being moved here but ordinary transactions too.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i sent money over from uk with no issues

what do you mean by intermediary bank?
I know the money goes via usa but they won't contact you your bank will
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i sent money over from uk with no issues

what do you mean by intermediary bank?
I know the money goes via usa but they won't contact you your bank will
The intermediary bank is the American bank and they contact you if you trip any of their flags. I gave up on transferring cash to Cambodia in the end; it really was too much of a PITA (and an expensive PITA at that).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I did it five times with no issue but it was for under £10k each time so maybe that's why

you can use a forex company and they charge much less if any fees
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

SinnSisamouth wrote:I did it five times with no issue but it was for under £10k each time so maybe that's why

you can use a forex company and they charge much less if any fees
I've had friends transfer large sums with no problems and friends trying to transfer measly sums get a hassle for it. Regular monthly transfers are a pain in the backside though and as I say, expensive. It costs me next to nothing to transfer cash into Thailand comparatively, there's no intermediary bank and it takes 48 hours (on average) for transfers to leave wherever they are leaving and get here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic