Help with Air Travel Plans

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Help with Air Travel Plans

Post by Username Taken »

Will soon be making my first international flight since 1998. Things have changed a bit since then. There were no budget airlines. You would just book an Economy Return ticket and that was it.
Nowadays, with the advent of budget airlines, it's not quite as cut and dry as that.

I've booked with AirAsia from BKK to Oz return for a little over 500 US. That's pretty good. But, I don't think that includes any drinks or food. However, i was told that you can buy these things inflight.
For a 9 hour flight, I'd like a meal shortly after takeoff and a light breakfast shortly prior to arrival. So, if I can buy these inflight, does anyone know what sort of prices for meals? And, price of a can of beer?

Or, would it be just as easy to buy six Big Macs at Don Muang before boarding?

It seems that the best bet for PP to BKK would also be AirAsia at $139 return. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Help with Air Travel Plans

Post by Satiated Parrot »

You mean you haven't left SEasia in sixteen years?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Satiated Parrot wrote:You mean you haven't left SEasia in sixteen years?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Correct. :thumb:

But even then it was to bury my mother. :o
Last edited by Username Taken on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

And if there is help to be had here........

I am going to JNB and back (I hope). I fly Singapore Air. Once, they
wanted $25,000. This time they wanted $15,000 but only if I was
flying on a Monday. Other days were $1,750. But this didn't include
the PP to Sing segment. Dragon air does that link, and usually have
a better price if I book with them and they give some to Sing air.
Now Dragon air says that they way to go is to go to Hong Kong and
then catch a plane going back the other way. You know ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:I've booked with AirAsia from BKK to Oz return for a little over 500 US. That's pretty good. But, I don't think that includes any drinks or food. However, i was told that you can buy these things inflight.
For a 9 hour flight, I'd like a meal shortly after takeoff and a light breakfast shortly prior to arrival. So, if I can buy these inflight, does anyone know what sort of prices for meals? And, price of a can of beer?

Or, would it be just as easy to buy six Big Macs at Don Muang before boarding?

It seems that the best bet for PP to BKK would also be AirAsia at $139 return. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help.
Do yourself a favour and book your meals online by modifying your ticket booking, meals should cost you about $2-3 each and are cheaper than buying them on the flight. The bigger issue is that meals run out quickly for non-booked meals. Don't expect any real quality, and avoid some of the more 'Asian' meals as they can be dangerous, depending on how long they've been in the hotbox for. From memory a beer is a couple of bucks, but I'll stand corrected on that. If it's convenient to grab Big Macs (and you actually enjoy those), this is your next best option.

Yes, PP > BKK > PP is around $139 all up.

Also, if you think you'll be over your luggage limit, buy extra online, much much cheaper.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Thanks for that. Booking meals, luggage, etc. on line was the sort of info I needed. :hattip:

However, having checked out the on-line menu for the flight, and considering it's been a long time (well over a decade) since I've had a Big Mac, I could be leaning toward something from Ronald McDonald's.

:beer3:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sorry, but another dumbass question.

Do they have internet at 30,000 ft. ?

TIA
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:Sorry, but another dumbass question.

Do they have internet at 30,000 ft. ?

TIA
Typically not, some airlines are starting to introduce in flight wi-fi at $15 to $20 per hour or small quota.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

There isn't a great selection of eateries at Don Muang these days, a shadow of its former self, and my favourite airport bar Bill Bentley's is no longer sadly. Fuji was one of the few places I could find to have a pre flight beer last time. Air Asia don't allow you to bring your own food and drink on board, but I'm not sure how strictly they enforce it.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Air Asia don't allow you to bring your own food and drink on board, but I'm not sure how strictly they enforce it.
mostly not at all. they refuse things like ice cream/etc that you have to carry out in the open, but if it's in your bag they don't give a shit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic