Owner of Fat Cat Bar in Kampot (Yan Demyanov) Arrested For Drug Dealing After Police Raid Yields a Lot of Marijuana

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Owner of Fat Cat Bar in Kampot (Yan Demyanov) Arrested For Drug Dealing After Police Raid Yields a Lot of Marijuana

Post by General Mackevili »

I agree it's not foolproof or even smart, but companies let tourists take $1,000 motorbikes for just holding their passports.

And those tourists have no collateral at all, while Yan has a bar.

And those extra 24 hours definitely help.

If I find myself in a pickle, I'm expecting to get at least $2,500 from you within 12 hours. And yes, you can hold my passport.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Owner of Fat Cat Bar in Kampot (Yan Demyanov) Arrested For Drug Dealing After Police Raid Yields a Lot of Marijuana

Post by Cam Nivag »

Dude, I sent just $100 online via Western Union yesterday to a travel agent in Kenya and it was a major ordeal. Had to call in, got a 15 minute interrogation about who I was and why I was sending $100. If you get locked up for another another tea cup-related altercation you're on your own.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Cam Nivag wrote:
General Mackevili wrote: What do you think happened? Yan Demyanov convinced the cops it was just a bunch of oregano, shook their hands and walked out?

Not sure. If Raybull is based in Sihanoukville, which I think he has said, I find it hard to believe that would immediately know that money was paid and how much, unless a Kampot police officer received $5,000 and immediately called Raybull to tell him about it.'

If his source isn't the police official who got the money, but someone who knows someone who knows someone who heard something about it, then it's merely a rumor. It certainly could be true, but I tend to doubt it simply because I know it's hard for people to come up with $5,000 in cash a day. I doubt the police take a check or a Diner's Club card.
I don't have a problem with you debating it but don't make stuff up. I not going to dig my own grave nor out anybody on such a minor event. The facts are he wasn't running a Khmer soup shop selling bor bor ganga, he was arrested on distribution charges which most certainly carries jail time, at which point the matter must go through a judge, where a compromise was made by all early the next day which involved dropping the charges to more 'reasonable' possession that can be stayed. I was made aware of that compromise later that day (ie. Wednesday) not immediately after the arrest nor immediately after his release, and subsequently again the next evening when all was smoothed over. I'm not going to 'speculate' about how and who helped with the payment. :hattip:
Last edited by Raybull on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Owner of Fat Cat Bar in Kampot (Yan Demyanov) Arrested For Drug Dealing After Police Raid Yields a Lot of Ma

General Mackevili wrote:
Maybe Yan will be kind enough to make a public statement and clear things up. :thumb:
Ask and you shall receive:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Owner of Fat Cat Bar in Kampot (Yan Demyanov) Arrested For Drug Dealing After...

Post by kiwiincambodia »

General Mackevili wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Maybe Yan will be kind enough to make a public statement and clear things up. :thumb:
Ask and you shall receive:

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160115/06d04254124c7ad4802205ebc1a59e1e.jpg[/img]
Don't you just love happy endings (no, not that kind you dirty bastards).
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Raybull wrote:The facts are he wasn't running a Khmer soup shop selling bor bor ganga, he was arrested on distribution charges which most certainly carries jail time, at which point the matter must go through a judge, where a compromise was made by all early the next day which involved dropping the charges to more 'reasonable' possession that can be stayed.
Yeah, you make good points. Maybe coming up with that amount of cash in 48 hours isn't so farfetched. It would explain the remarkably fast resolution of the criminal charges, and frankly, I don't know what other explanation there would be for that.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Always pay off the guys at the arrest, it is much, much cheaper. The longer you wait the bigger the problem. Justice is blind.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Well, looks like Fat Cat Bar is now for sale, unsurprisingly. $10,000 and I bet they'd even throw in that dirty laundry in the background.

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/general ... t7587.html

:beer2:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic