“My Partner”

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: “My Partner”

Post by StroppyChops »

The PC brigade has also convinced us that 'wife' is enslaving while 'partner' makes an equality statement.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Yeah, the only distinction this use of the word is making is between the overly PC and everybody else.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
I also find his use of the word “partner” confusing as I always thought it was for gay people.
When I hear people say "my partner" I think they're either gay or talking about their firm.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Gay side of things notwithstanding, its commonly used in de facto relationships where ,obviously, the use of the term "wife" isn't quite right, but they want to show they are more serious then just boyfriend and girlfriend.
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

LTO wrote:Yeah, the only distinction this use of the word is making is between the overly PC and everybody else.
Really great post LTO, I agree.
General Mackevili wrote:
FreeSocrates! wrote:
I also find his use of the word “partner” confusing as I always thought it was for gay people.
When I hear people say "my partner" I think they're either gay or talking about their firm.
I thought this too.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

LTO wrote:Partner doesn't mean wife. He's using the word wrong, like calling apples pears. His little attempt at engineering the language may catch on, but I doubt it. More likely people will just misunderstand.
Not sure if you're posting in response to me or the OP but here goes.

I think he was being polite. Like if you met someone with a N American accent and assumed they were American. A Canadian might find that offensive. Ditto Kiwis and Aussies.

I also think there's a cultural dissonance. I don't correct Khmers who refer to my gf as my wife because we are in a long term committed relationship but I'd make it clear to friends and family in the UK that she is my gf.
Scarier than malaria.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

FreeSocrates! wrote:
LTO wrote:Yeah, the only distinction this use of the word is making is between the overly PC and everybody else.
Really great post LTO, I agree.
General Mackevili wrote:
FreeSocrates! wrote:
I thought this too.

True, but partner is just a substitute and polite way of people telling that he is gay. But the word partner also means he/she is in a relationship or in a semi-serious relationship (not longing for marriage yet). Calling yourself gay or homo is an invitation to ridicule , hence partner is the best substitute.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

This is what Fred had to say on the subject:

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones.
They're the modern stone age family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones
you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
A dabba doo time.
You'll have a gay old time.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

EdinWigan wrote:This is what Fred had to say on the subject:

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones.
They're the modern stone age family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones
you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
A dabba doo time.
You'll have a gay old time.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/
Dictionary entry overview: What does partner mean?
• PARTNER (noun)
The noun PARTNER has 3 senses:
1. a person's partner in marriage
2. an associate who works with others toward a common goal
3. a person who is a member of a partnership
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Years ago back in my youth, the vice-principal tried to preach us about bullying in the every monday assembly. He said the word gay means happy. Well as I grew up older, I learnt that language evolve. But what's funny is that you suckers got influenced and tried to be cool trying it fit in the 80s generation.
Last edited by flying chicken on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic