What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

Post by Hugh Briss »

dagenham wrote:
Hugh Briss wrote:
dagenham wrote: I must agree - that "dude" will always be "awesome" - even if he stoops to being the pathetic huckster for barbeques, blenders or...even online air travel services...
A 'dude' this 'awesome' would never "stoop". He's got people for that.
Wrong there. He is the uber-spokesman for Priceline.com. Uber Massive. Stooping bigtime - reportedly for $10 million a year...

Understandable, before that he was selling his autographs at Star Trek conventions, doing a few plays and a short run as a talk show host (it was good but disappeared quickly)...so it goes...
I guess we're using different definitions of the same part of speech, happens sometimes. I'm using #1, you're using #2.

stoop1
stuːp/
verb
verb: stoop; 3rd person present: stoops; past tense: stooped; past participle: stooped; gerund or present participle: stooping

bend one's head or body forwards and downwards.
"he stooped down and reached towards the coin"
synonyms: bend down, bend, lean over, lean down, kneel, crouch down, squat down, hunker down, hunch down; More
informalscooch
"Linda stooped to pick up the bottles"
lower, bend, incline, bow, duck
"he stooped his head"
have the head and shoulders habitually bent forwards.
"he tends to stoop when he walks"
synonyms: hunch one's shoulders, walk with a stoop, be round-shouldered More
"he tends to stoop when he walks"
lower one's moral standards so far as to do something reprehensible.
"Craig wouldn't stoop to thieving"
synonyms: lower oneself, sink, descend, resort; More
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
dagenham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I have Filipino mates, I'm pretty confident they all learned American English listening to those bloody awful language tapes used in the 70s and 80s (and still, in my first hand experience, used in high schools in China) and I think 'Ossum' might have been one of the included slang words.
With respect, my friend, I beg to differ - it started in the late 90's as a widely used adjective. Truly began to be dominate within a few years and now is like an International virus...
Always happy to agree with the elderly.

Oh, and good to see we're adding to the already copious online commentary on the abuse of the word.

https://www.google.com.kh/search?q=the+ ... 2&ie=UTF-8
And elderly I am - with all my teeth still and no cane...yet...great link! thanks and I thought I was the only one to notice the "awesome" crisis!
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

dagenham wrote:Decades ago the dominate word (in place of Awesome) was "Swell!".
And before that it was 'Groovy'. :facepalm:

Those were the days my friend,
We thought they'd never end,
We'd sing and . . . ..
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:
dagenham wrote:Decades ago the dominate word (in place of Awesome) was "Swell!".

We'd sing and . . . ..
And apparently we're at risk of the 'dominate' word becoming "sweet", or in the case of Phnom Penh apartment listings, "cute".

The misuse I despise is "Right?" as though the listener is asking you to agree with what you just told them because they thought it first.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
Username Taken wrote:

We'd sing and . . . ..
And apparently we're at risk of the 'dominate' word becoming "sweet", or in the case of Phnom Penh apartment listings, "cute".

The misuse I despise is "Right?" as though the listener is asking you to agree with what you just told them because they thought it first.
Right! I hate it too, eh?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Username Taken wrote:

I really miss that word and use it sometimes in a sweetly-sad-sickly nostalgic way...oh well...what about bithcin'? epic? grand?

"cool" is now global and trustworthy - multi-use...

"brilliant" is UK-centric...

We'd sing and . . . ..
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Don't forget rad.

That was rad dude.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Some more...

far out, man!

You know?

Just chill

No worries, mate

The Penh

Motherfucker has gained acceptance. When I was at pun school, the use of a word was a guarantee of being thrashed within an inch of you life, now it's probably in regular use in polite society
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm looking forward to the new era when Hollywood forgets "Oh... my... (wait for it)... GOD!" because all I hear is "Wait... for... (be silent now, I'm acting here)... me." I don't think there's a more attention-pulling phrase in existence right now. Real people seem to have moved on, but the media and entertainment industry surely haven't.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Awesome is a not so awesome way of saying "Grouse". Mexicans and Croweaters will probably remember, it was a grouse word but!

http://www.ozatwar.com/ozatwar/aussieslang.htm#g
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic