A Foreigner Was Seen Having Verbal Argument With His Cambodian Neighbor Due To Loud Music

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
superdavemc
Tourist

Re: A Foreigner Was Seen Having Verbal Argument With His Cambodian Neighbor Due To Loud Music

Post by superdavemc »

BTW... with the Vietnamese restaurant opening, cat activity in my sector has decreased dramatically.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: A Foreigner Was Seen Having Verbal Argument With His Cambodian Neighbor Due To Loud Music

Post by Anchor Moy »

superdavemc wrote:There's a Vietnamese restaurant/part time Karaoke across from my house. They are the worse. Weddings and funerals I can handle most of the time.( I own earphones). But the very loud and clearly meant to be obnoxious singing and disco club music is making me want to move soon. Maybe if I find a place higher up, like 10th floor or something, it won't be so bad?
Yeah karaoke is different - real cats sing better. I'd move if I was you. The situation will never improve where you are, but there are other places to live which are not next to karaoke bars. Definitely, if you are in short-term accommodation, just move.
( :Yahoo!: My neighbours have just turned up the volume on their russian rock n roll music - another cultural experience which should broaden my mind :shock: )
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: A Foreigner Was Seen Having Verbal Argument With His Cambodian Neighbor Due To Loud Music

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Seriously, you have to be a sad-sack to complain because a family is making too much noise with their funeral ceremony. :(
Haha.

They now have wedding halls in the cities, which takes care of some of the noise. Maybe funeral homes are next...
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

superdavemc wrote:What's up with Cambodians and loud music blasting at all hours? Is it a cultural thing here to believe that everyone within earshot wants to be entertained by your horrible, sounds like 2 cats screwing, traditional music/noise?
I think they don't notice.

I've only been here a handful of years, and I'm pretty immune to noise now. Used drive me nuts, now I tune it out subconsciously and am surprised when people are bothered by it.
Ed Hammer
Expatriate

Post by Ed Hammer »

Jerry Atrick wrote:
superdavemc wrote:What's up with Cambodians and loud music blasting at all hours? Is it a cultural thing here to believe that everyone within earshot wants to be entertained by your horrible, sounds like 2 cats screwing, traditional music/noise?
I think they don't notice.

I've only been here a handful of years, and I'm pretty immune to noise now. Used drive me nuts, now I tune it out subconsciously and am surprised when people are bothered by it.
From being known as someone who is sensitive to noise,my neighbors in London opinion and warning to her guest.Till now where I am 95% cured of noise sensitivity and can sleep with building work all around.

But I have to say, one thing I still really struggle with is dumping rubbish,it makes my blood boil.I mean at least dig a pit and burn it,but just dumping it without concern makes me turn into the Hulk.Please Cambodia address this issue .
General Mackevili: I just don't want you littering our forum with your drivel.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

So this tradition/culture of playing distorted amplified music started when?. How long have amps been in Cambodia, were they here before the KR years? And why has the sound quality not improved? Always distorted, wouldn't be so bad if it was clear! Bloody cheap, nasty, bad quality Chinese cheap shit electronics sell well here!
But any music that is temporary, just put up with it or move away for a couple of days, it's their country, let them continue with giving permanent hearing damage to each others babies :D
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Try living next to the cop shop where they party every night & converse at around 102db. I wish they would play there music louder.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

In retrospect; I moved into a Khmer neighborhood. What did I expect? Live with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic