CINTRI: PP, People aren't putting rubbish in the bins provided

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.

Do you put your rubbish in a Cintri bin?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 4
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

CINTRI: PP, People aren't putting rubbish in the bins provided

Post by juansweetpotato »

Trash pact in crosshairs
“Sometimes people don’t throw their trash in the trash bin that is given to them by Cintri, they just throw it anywhere, and it makes it hard for us to collect it.”
Meanwhile, City Hall said yesterday that it would soon start a programme to pay homeless people to pick up rubbish in the capital and deposit it in mobile bins.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/t ... crosshairs

I keep reading bins. Anyone ever seen one of these elusive beasts?
I seem to remember someone saying they were all nicked off the street as soon as they were put out?

Do you put your rubbish in a CINTRI bin?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
LTO
Expatriate

Re: CINTRI: PP, People aren't putting rubbish in the bins provided

Post by LTO »

I don't have a bin, but i do put it neattly in garbage bags, which the scavangers tear apart and scatter the garbage around.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

LTO wrote:I don't have a bin, but i do put it neattly in garbage bags, which the scavangers tear apart and scatter the garbage around.
It's OK to vote. Seems that at least 2 people have Cintri bins. Maybe Bendix and Playboy?
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I put in my bag when I don't see any dustbin.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Bins...what bins!?
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Bins...what bins!?
Exactly. Although when posting this I forgot that most members live in SNV. Still, that raises an interesting question in itself as to how come refuse collection isn't centrally monitored effectively in PP, or seemingly country-wide ? Its a very important issue.

Whatever the hell is going on with refuse collection in Cambodia, it isn't working out very well. And it's the basics of good health management for the population, along with clean water and sanitation.

It's simply amazing that so much aid money has been spent in Cambodia and not even the three basics have been setup effectively.

I'm sure Jacked C can tell us more on why that is?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Exactly. Although when posting this I forgot that most members live in SNV.

??? Where did you get that idea ? I don't think they do, it's just that the SNV members are more vocal. :Bravo: This is due to the friendly chatty nature of the SNV residents :friends: and is in no way related to the number of beers (or LIITs) they consume to rehydrate. :beer:

As for rubbish bins in SNV, there are some around but they are always filled to overflow less than a day after they're emptied. You can't really blame people for burning their rubbish.
Other places in Cambodia we paid monthly for rubbish collection. It is extremely hit and miss because you never know when they will turn up. Could be once a week or x3 a week, depending on ? The truck turns up whenever, beeps the horn, and you then have about 5 minutes to drop everything and get the rubbish out. Sometimes they don't like to take certain things, like glass bottles. Seems there is no glass recycling here, at least in the provinces.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Anchor Moy wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:
Exactly. Although when posting this I forgot that most members live in SNV.

??? Where did you get that idea ? I don't think they do, it's just that the SNV members are more vocal. :Bravo: This is due to the friendly chatty nature of the SNV residents :friends: and is in no way related to the number of beers (or LIITs) they consume to rehydrate. :beer:

As for rubbish bins in SNV, there are some around but they are always filled to overflow less than a day after they're emptied. You can't really blame people for burning their rubbish.
Other places in Cambodia we paid monthly for rubbish collection. It is extremely hit and miss because you never know when they will turn up. Could be once a week or x3 a week, depending on ? The truck turns up whenever, beeps the horn, and you then have about 5 minutes to drop everything and get the rubbish out. Sometimes they don't like to take certain things, like glass bottles. Seems there is no glass recycling here, at least in the provinces.
In SNV one place I was living in had a sort of large, black plastic open-cauldron to put the rubbish in. Just like you say, it was normally overflowing because it was far too small for the 40 odd people who lived there, not to mention the ones dropping there rubbish in them from the street.

Those large industrial bins with sliding lids are what's needed in my view. Central rubbish points with these (chained down) for collection by the council/ private services in a timely manner. Less rats and other vermon, that's apart from less smell. All payed for through a fee taken from the house owner, who then takes it from their tenant if they have one.

ATM I live near Orrusey and I pay the landlord $1 per month. I pack it in plastic bags and drop it on the road outside the apartment.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

juansweetpotato wrote:Whatever the hell is going on with refuse collection in Cambodia, it isn't working out very well. And it's the basics of good health management for the population, along with clean water and sanitation.

It's simply amazing that so much aid money has been spent in Cambodia and not even the three basics have been setup effectively.
I don't think rubbage collection has ever had anything to do with aid money. I remember when in first began in Phnom Penh, rather haltingly, and it's been private companies handling it since the beginning IIRC.

Also, if I am not mistaken, the clean water system in Phnom Penh is something of a success story.

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/how-ph ... ter-supply
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/video- ... er-systems
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/tap- ... o%E2%80%99

As for the medical system, yes, it is a country wide disgrace and shambles. But I do wonder if the way aid/charity money have been applied doesn't have something to do with maintaining the shambles. After all, so long the Beat Richner's of the world are caring for Cambodian kids for free, there's not much reason for the government to up its game
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic