VIETNAMESE PLATED MOTOS

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: VIETNAMESE PLATED MOTOS

Post by Raybull »

Most VN plated bikes around here are barely worth more than a few tenners...hope he doesn't get caught too often!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^You're not far off.

I was talking to my Viet cousin and asked him how much it would be to rebuild a Viet bike with new Viet junk parts. He told me "about 1.000.000 VND" or, $50 USD. Those parts are so ridiculously cheap and bad, I'm surprised those bikes make it any distance at all.
-insert signature here
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

AE86 wrote:It's not quite $350-400 for a used bike, but for a new Wave that's about right. (125 that is, family has imported one before).

A used bike (we brought one CD125 over) was $200 something, but the price varies between who you deal with. I don't know the time frame on how long you have.
Be great if you could explain the whole process from start to finish for the board.

Let's say I have a Viet plated bike with reg doc, but in somebody else's name (as per usual in Vietnam) What do I need/ have to do to get the tax payed and the bike re-registered in Cambodia? Be great to know what offices to go to in PP and rough location etc.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^I would like to, but being Cambodia, nothing is straight forward.

Last bike we brought simply needed it's Vietnamese blue book to prove ownership, then we paid import tax on it and got a Cambodian plate. Took a month, no problems.

However, the last bike we tried to bring over the price changed 3 times, then we were given the "wrong" documents and needed to talk to someone else, and then someone else, and then someone else...then finally the guy supposedly in charge of import tax said "I don't know, just buy Cambodian bike." We sold the bike as is without having a plate.

I could tell you the process, but the same process never seems to happen twice without some pig trying to stick his finger in and getting some pie money.
-insert signature here
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

AE86 wrote:^^I would like to, but being Cambodia, nothing is straight forward.

Last bike we brought simply needed it's Vietnamese blue book to prove ownership, then we paid import tax on it and got a Cambodian plate. Took a month, no problems.

However, the last bike we tried to bring over the price changed 3 times, then we were given the "wrong" documents and needed to talk to someone else, and then someone else, and then someone else...then finally the guy supposedly in charge of import tax said "I don't know, just buy Cambodian bike." We sold the bike as is without having a plate.

I could tell you the process, but the same process never seems to happen twice without some pig trying to stick his finger in and getting some pie money.
Yep, sounds about right. Honda still haven't got prices on their website in Cambodia. Lol.
BTW what's a blue book? I just have the green? reg card with name, bike make and model, engine size, YOM and reg no. on it.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Re: Blue book, that was a slip, I am so used to saying "blue book" (used car value guide in the U.S.) that I typed it without thinking. I was thinking the ownership booklet (sometimes it's just a card), and it might be green, not blue.

Good luck if you try, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.
-insert signature here
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Have been riding two VN plated motos around SKV. No problems to date. Prolly a fiver will fix most if any arise.

Still, I wonder what the real skinny is. If there is a real skinny.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic