What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

Post by StroppyChops »

^ lost his Awesomeness Quotient after Boston Legal...

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

dagenham wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Totally agree with you Dagenham, I cringe when I hear it. I follow golf and Michelle Wie the high profile female US golfer when interviewed can't complete a sentence without throwing in at least a couple of awesome's. For my own sad amusement I watch her interviews to see how many times she can fit the word in. I don't think it's a passing fad, unfortunately I think it's with us forever.
Yo Cowboy! So...at least you have noticed this phenomenon...most other people probably use it so much themselves that they don't even notice it themselves...language? what language?

By the way, you weren't called "Dude Cowboy" before and met Brad, a Starbucks marketing rep, on a bar stool one night last year? Just curious...
Unless it's the Big Lebowski saying it, dude ranks pretty close to awesome on my language dislikes. :D
The Cowshed refers to the metal roofed enclosure housing the best football fans in Scotland and where I long to be every Saturday of the season.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

StroppyChops wrote:^ lost his Awesomeness Quotient after Boston Legal...
Beg to differ
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sure, but that was shot during Boston Legal, and before his most recent (and ridiculous) facelift!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Hugh Briss wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:^ lost his Awesomeness Quotient after Boston Legal...
Beg to differ
I must agree - that "dude" will always be "awesome" - even if he stoops to being the pathetic huckster for barbeques, blenders or...even online air travel services...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:I have Filipino mates, I'm pretty confident they all learned American English listening to those bloody awful language tapes used in the 70s and 80s (and still, in my first hand experience, used in high schools in China) and I think 'Ossum' might have been one of the included slang words.
With respect, my friend, I beg to differ - it started in the late 90's as a widely used adjective. Truly began to be dominate within a few years and now is like an International virus...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

dagenham wrote: I must agree - that "dude" will always be "awesome" - even if he stoops to being the pathetic huckster for barbeques, blenders or...even online air travel services...
A 'dude' this 'awesome' would never "stoop". He's got people for that.
“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Totally agree with you Dagenham, I cringe when I hear it. I follow golf and Michelle Wie the high profile female US golfer when interviewed can't complete a sentence without throwing in at least a couple of awesome's. For my own sad amusement I watch her interviews to see how many times she can fit the word in. I don't think it's a passing fad, unfortunately I think it's with us forever.
Yo Cowboy! So...at least you have noticed this phenomenon...most other people probably use it so much themselves that they don't even notice it themselves...language? what language?

By the way, you weren't called "Dude Cowboy" before and met Brad, a Starbucks marketing rep, on a bar stool one night last year? Just curious...
Unless it's the Big Lebowski saying it, dude ranks pretty close to awesome on my language dislikes. :D
The Cowshed refers to the metal roofed enclosure housing the best football fans in Scotland and where I long to be every Saturday of the season.
I was taking the piss there with the "Dude Cowboy" question - he is a notorious character from the "other" forum. Dude? At least you can use it ironically and others understand it when you do. Awesome is now so deeply embedded, as I wrote earlier - trans-generational now, I might just agree I will die before it is displaced.

Decades ago the dominate word (in place of Awesome) was "Swell!". Lets bring it back! Or how about - "Aces!" Any other new suggestions not currently in use?
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Hugh Briss wrote:
dagenham wrote: I must agree - that "dude" will always be "awesome" - even if he stoops to being the pathetic huckster for barbeques, blenders or...even online air travel services...
A 'dude' this 'awesome' would never "stoop". He's got people for that.
Wrong there. He is the uber-spokesman for Priceline.com. Uber Massive. Stooping bigtime - reportedly for $10 million a year...

Understandable, before that he was selling his autographs at Star Trek conventions, doing a few plays and a short run as a talk show host (it was good but disappeared quickly)...so it goes...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I have Filipino mates, I'm pretty confident they all learned American English listening to those bloody awful language tapes used in the 70s and 80s (and still, in my first hand experience, used in high schools in China) and I think 'Ossum' might have been one of the included slang words.
With respect, my friend, I beg to differ - it started in the late 90's as a widely used adjective. Truly began to be dominate within a few years and now is like an International virus...
Always happy to agree with the elderly.

Oh, and good to see we're adding to the already copious online commentary on the abuse of the word.

https://www.google.com.kh/search?q=the+ ... 2&ie=UTF-8
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic