What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

Post by dagenham »

"And does it really matter what “words” we use?" - this quote is from freesocrates in the "My partner" thread...

Hey, after 6 decades as a language-speaking mammal I fully realize that popular words come and go...that's the way it should be - morphing and reflecting the ch-ch-changing times...

But I must say the linguistic monopoly that "awesome" has currently is truly...well...awesome. There was a day, maybe in early 1998, when you could only say awesome if describing the following:

a) The Grand Canyon
b) The Moon landing
c) The Taj Mahal
d) Angkor Wat

And now....people, of all ages which in itself alone is perplexing since slang is always generational in nature, rarely use any other adjectives. A glass of water can be called "awesome". I used to like that word and now I want to pummel those lazy inarticulate speakers who overuse it. There other adjectives one can use after all. It's driving me mad.

What to do? Move to another country and stop speaking English you say? But still the tourist come and say that word constantly - even those who aren't native English speakers. Plug my ears? That will work and probably nothing short of that...the wretched human condition of today's world and now we even have global warming (allegedly)! What's the point of going on? Of waking up tomorrow?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
picaroon
Tourist

Re: What exactly does "awesome" mean anyway?

Post by picaroon »

From the context I see it used in - online reviews of pizzas etc. - I've concluded US English 'awesome' = British English 'awful.'

Technically it refers to something bigger than and incomprehensible to the user. No surprise that they use it a lot then.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

picaroon wrote:From the context I see it used in - online reviews of pizzas etc. - I've concluded US English 'awesome' = British English 'awful.'

Technically it refers to something bigger than and incomprehensible to the user. No surprise that they use it a lot then.
Brits, Asians and Euros use it too...it's global...just listen around you - it's there...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

dagenham wrote:
picaroon wrote:From the context I see it used in - online reviews of pizzas etc. - I've concluded US English 'awesome' = British English 'awful.'

Brits, Asians and Euros use it too...it's global...just listen around you - it's there...
I've always thought it was an American thang.
With the www for the past 20 years, the whole world can learn to speak American just from watching youtube.
:popcorn:
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Username Taken wrote:
dagenham wrote:

I've always thought it was an American thang.
With the www for the past 20 years, the whole world can learn to speak American just from watching youtube.
:popcorn:
I only wish it was just a Yank thang - then it could be somewhat containable...it's being said 736 times in the next hour - & that's only here in PP...tragic that...
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yeah, it's one of those moronic expressions, like;

'I literally died laughing, dude!'
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Totally agree with you Dagenham, I cringe when I hear it. I follow golf and Michelle Wie the high profile female US golfer when interviewed can't complete a sentence without throwing in at least a couple of awesome's. For my own sad amusement I watch her interviews to see how many times she can fit the word in. I don't think it's a passing fad, unfortunately I think it's with us forever.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Totally agree with you Dagenham, I cringe when I hear it. I follow golf and Michelle Wie the high profile female US golfer when interviewed can't complete a sentence without throwing in at least a couple of awesome's. For my own sad amusement I watch her interviews to see how many times she can fit the word in. I don't think it's a passing fad, unfortunately I think it's with us forever.
Yo Cowboy! So...at least you have noticed this phenomenon...most other people probably use it so much themselves that they don't even notice it themselves...language? what language?

By the way, you weren't called "Dude Cowboy" before and met Brad, a Starbucks marketing rep, on a bar stool one night last year? Just curious...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I have Filipino mates, I'm pretty confident they all learned American English listening to those bloody awful language tapes used in the 70s and 80s (and still, in my first hand experience, used in high schools in China) and I think 'Ossum' might have been one of the included slang words.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Hugh Briss
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Hugh Briss »

dagenham wrote:
Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Totally agree with you Dagenham, I cringe when I hear it. I follow golf and Michelle Wie the high profile female US golfer when interviewed can't complete a sentence without throwing in at least a couple of awesome's. For my own sad amusement I watch her interviews to see how many times she can fit the word in. I don't think it's a passing fad, unfortunately I think it's with us forever.
Yo Cowboy! So...at least you have noticed this phenomenon...most other people probably use it so much themselves that they don't even notice it themselves...language? what language?

“JFK was far from perfect, but he was a true wit and a sex machine, and he knew how to wear a pair of shades." Bill Maher
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic