Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Those Living Cheaply Under a Grand

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:
UKJ wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Most everyone here in PP drinks everyday.
The $4 bar crawl was in Snooky!

I think your default thought pattern assumes everyone drinks everyday, as you seem to have a bit of an obsession about drinkers. There was reason for you to think it about the $4 guys , so you may just think that about PP expats. I doubt most drink every day.
Are you kidding? There probably isn't one person on this here forum who doesn't have at least 1 drink a day (and, of course, many have more). I personally don't know of anyone who doesn't drink daily and gets drunk at least once a week (if not more times).

I'm not judging here - I'm simply looking around. You think PP is a church missionary training center? Or? These people largely function (to varying degrees) with jobs, families, responsibilities, etc. - I'm not necessarily talking about the layabouts at GSM.
Unrelated to my faith, I drink one or two beers a week, at most.
In this climate I much prefer iced tea, Khmer iced coffee, or a soft drink. I also prefer a clear head in the tropics. In six weeks I've had two shots of Chivas and a Gordon's G&T. I'm also happy to admit to preferring Shandy's on hot days.

I have friends here that are teetotal, and others that start their nightly crawl in the early afternoon.

Is it possible you move in fairly small circles?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dagenham wrote:
UKJ wrote:
dagenham wrote:

I think your default thought pattern assumes everyone drinks everyday, as you seem to have a bit of an obsession about drinkers. There was reason for you to think it about the $4 guys , so you may just think that about PP expats. I doubt most drink every day.
Are you kidding? There probably isn't one person on this here forum who doesn't have at least 1 drink a day (and, of course, many have more). I personally don't know of anyone who doesn't drink daily and gets drunk at least once a week (if not more times).

I'm not judging here - I'm simply looking around. You think PP is a church missionary training center? Or? These people largely function (to varying degrees) with jobs, families, responsibilities, etc. - I'm not necessarily talking about the layabouts at GSM.
:please:

I am lucky, ( even when i lived in Cambodia) to have a drink a week an 90% of the people i know in Cambodia, ( PP, shv, batt, SR) do not drink but at the most l night/week and than only socially.

suggest you need to get away from the bars an meet other people

Price of drinks an girls would never enter into the top 100 reason for living anywhere i have ever lived.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

dagenham wrote: Are you kidding? There probably isn't one person on this here forum who doesn't have at least 1 drink a day (and, of course, many have more). I personally don't know of anyone who doesn't drink daily and gets drunk at least once a week (if not more times).

You seem to think in extremes, which is quite naive and simplistic. Things are never that black and white. PP expats can't all be either functioning alcoholics or layabouts. You are looking down on people, just like you did with the bar crawl guys. BTW, they got interviewed by an Australian student radio station. So they must be a lot more interesting than you ( falsely ) assumed.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
dagenham wrote:
UKJ wrote:
dagenham wrote:

Unrelated to my faith, I drink one or two beers a week, at most.
In this climate I much prefer iced tea, Khmer iced coffee, or a soft drink. I also prefer a clear head in the tropics. In six weeks I've had two shots of Chivas and a Gordon's G&T. I'm also happy to admit to preferring Shandy's on hot days.

I have friends here that are teetotal, and others that start their nightly crawl in the early afternoon.

Is it possible you move in fairly small circles?
Wait a minute here...how can anything at all in your life be "unrelated to your faith?" Hmmm....

I demur here that, of course, I exaggerated but short of "serious religious" people (i.e. people who actually try to live the life outlined in the scriptures - whatever the faith) people here drink to excess. Obviously it depends on who your immediate cohort is - anecdotally that is all any of us know.

I personally rarely go to bars, but a very high percentage of people I meet here are serious dedicated drinkers. They are not the minority as phuketrichard claims (maybe he's a missionary?) and hardly anyone drinks in Phuket either - perish the thought! C'mon...now...really...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

dagenham wrote:Wait a minute here...how can anything at all in your life be "unrelated to your faith?" Hmmm....
Well that's a whole other discussion! Start a new thread and I'll join you for that one, it's almost time for the Sunday Sermon anyway.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

I average about 2 beers and 2 G&Ts a week. I know plenty of folk here who drink socially, and enjoy it, but work hard and train hard too. I know several folk who regularly cycle to Kampot, or have got home from a 60km morning weekday bike ride before dagenam has even got his morning wood...
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

rick o'shea wrote:I average about 2 beers and 2 G&Ts a week. I know plenty of folk here who drink socially, and enjoy it, but work hard and train hard too. I know several folk who regularly cycle to Kampot, or have got home from a 60km morning weekday bike ride before dagenam has even got his morning wood...
And those certainly are the "average expats denizens" of this fine city. In fact, I went to Kampot last week and saw maybe what? 312 bikers pedaling furiously along the road...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

StroppyChops wrote:
dagenham wrote:Wait a minute here...how can anything at all in your life be "unrelated to your faith?" Hmmm....
Well that's a whole other discussion! Start a new thread and I'll join you for that one, it's almost time for the Sunday Sermon anyway.
So...you're a lapsed Jew? A shadow Christian? A part-time Muslim? A weekend Hindu?
rick o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick o'shea »

dagenham wrote:
rick o'shea wrote:I average about 2 beers and 2 G&Ts a week. I know plenty of folk here who drink socially, and enjoy it, but work hard and train hard too. I know several folk who regularly cycle to Kampot, or have got home from a 60km morning weekday bike ride before dagenam has even got his morning wood...
And those certainly are the "average expats denizens" of this fine city. In fact, I went to Kampot last week and saw maybe what? 312 bikers pedaling furiously along the road...
oh you should've introduced yourself, you could have taken us drinking and whoring. Image
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

rick o'shea wrote:
dagenham wrote:
oh you should've introduced yourself, you could have taken us drinking and whoring. Image
Like Stroppy Chops, unrelated to my "faith" (gotta love that adorable phrase), I don't do those things ever...on some Sundays anyway...
Locked Previous topicNext topic