Electric oven. Reasonable?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Electric oven. Reasonable?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I was talking about western ovens (because the guy I quoted was talking about the UK). I think it goes without saying that a 50$ countertop oven isn't the same as a 1500$ western freestanding oven. Still, unless you plan on making creme brûlé all the time, I'm confident it'll cook absolutely anything fine.

That B&D sounds like a good deal for 40$.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:I would check this out... 80% discount on things this weekend!

Thanks for the lead, unfortunately like all things too good to be true, this was dodgy. A shed at the back of a villa out at Steung Meanchey with some decent merchandise, but all at above western prices. Not a single item at 80% off (ignoring the BS prices stated on their brochure), although a chance to win a cheap laptop for purchases over $300.

We ended up at Home Top and purchased this 30L beauty for $71, saving us $50 on the unit in the OP, plus the chance to look around Home Top.

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

StroppyChops wrote: Thanks for the lead, unfortunately like all things too good to be true, this was dodgy. A shed at the back of a villa out at Steung Meanchey with some decent merchandise, but all at above western prices. Not a single item at 80% off (ignoring the BS prices stated on their brochure),
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah that's the unit I saw. Looks great.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Yeah that's the unit I saw. Looks great.
Plenty of hardware with it, two solid oven trays, two decent racks, a drip tray in the floor, and a rotisserie kit. The instructions say to burn it in with the door open, and it was chucking out such a furnace we couldn't stand too near it. Happy so far.

Hey OD, how about sharing some recipes for the hand-kneaded bread you make?
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Be careful with the earthing on these things, I have one and it gives me mild shocks, not properly insulated.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:Be careful with the earthing on these things, I have one and it gives me mild shocks, not properly insulated.
I use a four-port USB charging adaptor. When I was plugging in my tablet the other night the connection sparked between the USB lead and the tablet, I'm thankful that solid state technology is a little less sensitive. The stupid part is I have a surge protector/filter/conditioner for the lappie but still haven't bothered digging it out yet.
shorttimereader
Tourist

Post by shorttimereader »

I've got a 40L Akira with rotisserie, about 50 bucks from Sunsimexco.
Had it about 6 months or so, and power bill extra is negligible.
Roasting pan size is good for a pizza (rectangular), but the best one is to marinate up some pork loin or chicken fillets with either a nice mortar & pestled curry/tandoori mix, or a rosemary herb crust and thread them onto the rotor skewer, 40 mins later, KEBAB filling.....
Enjoy your new oven Chops
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

shorttimereader wrote:I've got a 40L Akira with rotisserie, about 50 bucks from Sunsimexco.
Had it about 6 months or so, and power bill extra is negligible.
Roasting pan size is good for a pizza (rectangular), but the best one is to marinate up some pork loin or chicken fillets with either a nice mortar & pestled curry/tandoori mix, or a rosemary herb crust and thread them onto the rotor skewer, 40 mins later, KEBAB filling.....
Enjoy your new oven Chops
Nice - thanks!
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

@ Stroppy
I don't know the first thing about using ovens, but would the one you bought at Home Top be suitable to make things like shepherds/cottage pie? What did you guys use it for, so far, if you don't mind me asking? :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic